Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

All this talk, Im wondering what mine is putting out. Seem to be around 17psi full boost but its "only" a 2.8 so Im guessing around a 380hp. Would be nice to get a figure on it.

The capacity makes no odds where boost is concerned.

Logically speaking, if a VR6 makes 200hp at one atmosphere, then putting another atmosphere into it should give 400hp, and indeed that is exactly what Shaun's VRT made and is the average you generally see from a bar of boost usually.

With your 35R @ 17psi, you should be into the mid 400s, providing everything is OK.

Maybe we should organise a VRT dyno day and see what different setups and specs put down on the same rollers :D

i would be up for that, be awesome seeing everyones installs etc... in fact i think it needs to be done :D

My intention is for a remap at some point so Stealth would maybe be best? My brother lives down south so i could try and get a trip out of it.

I might be going to Stealth tomorrow, so I will mention it to him!

Could also ask the VR6OC forum as there's a few VRTs on there aswell!

Do you think those of us without FI that want it would be allowed to come and watch? :D

Im missing VRT action :(

Like to see dyno plots of a GT3076 making over 500bhp at 16psi , sorry ben its sounds bit far out

Yeah, I was going to say that I just can't see a VRT making 500bhp on 16psi. Like Kev said, one bar should in effect double the output, especially on a GT30 series. I would have thought the psi figure for 500bhp would logically be closer to 1.5 bar of boost, so 22-23psi.

A VRT rolling road day sounds like a great idea. :D

Like to see dyno plots of a GT3076 making over 500bhp at 16psi , sorry ben its sounds bit far out

Yeah, I was going to say that I just can't see a VRT making 500bhp on 16psi. Like Kev said, one bar should in effect double the output, especially on a GT30 series. I would have thought the psi figure for 500bhp would logically be closer to 1.5 bar of boost, so 22-23psi.

I wondered how long it would take people to criticise the power figures. I'll post up my graphs from Emerald....

I wondered how long it would take people to criticise the power figures. I'll post up my graphs from Emerald....

went out in this today...had alot of fun against an Aston Martin DB9. came off a private slip road and managed to catch it and keep level with it even though we lifted off briefly! VRTs rule!

went out in this today...had alot of fun against an Aston Martin DB9. came off a private slip road and managed to catch it and keep level with it even though we lifted off briefly! VRTs rule!

LOL... this was good fun, VRT's are very quick :D Just a shame I didnt have the confidence that it would corner as well as the DB9.... Otherwise I wouldnt have had to lift off :lol:

So here are the graphs:

Graph 1 - Measured using Emeralds standard rolling road software, shows 326.9bhp @ 7psi

003.jpg

Graph 2 - Measured using Emeralds standard rolling road software, shows 382.1bhp @ 10psi

That's a 56 bhp gain for 3psi more boost. (Kevs makes 392 @ 11psi / Shauns makes 400 @ 14psi)

002.jpg

Graph 3 - Emeralds standard rolling road software only reads up to 400bhp so Dave Walker use additional software to measure bhp figures over that. I was advised by Dave Walker that this software reads approximately 5% out and I should remove 30bhp from this graph (Shaun, you can check this with Keith at JKM as they have a very good relationship with Dave Walker) - shows 540bhp (-30bhp)

001.jpg

Given that the difference between Graph 1 and Graph 2 is 56bhp for 3psi it would make sense that its running around 500bhp on 16 psi.

The end of the day, I can only go by what I have been told at Emerald as this is the only rolling road it has been on.

Fair enough what you say Shaun, these figures are different to yours on the same turbo (GT3076) but my engine specification is different to yours. Charlie, arent you running the smaller GT3071? This would give a quicker spool but less top end power.

Tell you what, how about if my car makes 500bhp @ 16psi at the Stealth shoot out.... Shaun and Charlie can pay for my run :norty:

I'll await the comments......

Just out of interest what sort of miles to a tank do you guys get? With the old turbo set up I was managing about 280-300, its now about 230miles but its running rich at the moment.

Mine averages 27mpg (worked out the old fashioned way) if driven normally. 'Normal' for me is 85mph cruising speed and the odd bit of boost when some chump tailgates me. I don't do steady 56 or 70mph nonsense. I'd rather do that in a car built for economy. VRTs are built for acceleration.

If I go out on a bender racing everything in sight, then mpg can drop to about 10 very easily :lol:

Ben, sorry mate, I haven't spoken to Vince yet, I didn't go on Saturday. I was too p1ssed and hung over from the previous night's entertainment :lol:

Cheers for the graphs Ben, very impressive indeed :D

This precisely why I suggested a VRT dyno day as it gets together a bunch of cars with different specs on the same dyno, on the same day. I don't think it's ever been done before, certainly not in this country? I think, no, I know, some people will be dissapointed. Others will be elated....but one thing's for sure, it will settle a few arguments :wink:

Bear in mind that Ben and I have an 'unfair' advantage with our additional head flow. It is the biggest bottle neck in the whole VRT intake/exhaust path. Could that be the reason for the freakish outputs? I don't know.... there's only one way to find......FIIIIIIIGGGGHHT!!

luckily for me i dont care much for the numbers and if mine gets above 300bhp i will be happy :lol:

luckily for me i dont care much for the numbers and if mine gets above 300bhp i will be happy :lol:

That's the thing, I don't want it to be a grudge match or numbers game. Just a gathering to share ideas and help eachother out with problems etc. We all know VRTs are quick and there proabably won't be much more than a car length or 3, realisitically speaking, between the slowest and quickest :D

Knew should have gone to Dave walker for my mapping :lol:

Sorry Ben, nice work buddy :)

Dave Walker is an automotive phenomenon - he is actually genuinely very interested, knowledgable and enthusiastic in his own product!!!

even his lawnmower is now fuel injected with a turbo!!! :nuts:

the guy is a true petrolhead with a vast knowledge and genuine desire to make the best out of other people's cars.

in case you can't tell, i'm quite a big emerald fan!

granted if money was no object i would get a motec or a link ecu, but for everything else - there's emerald! :D

also - i'll massively second the VRT get together; would be very interested to see the various numbers/setups etc etc

i could bring the m5 along too - will be doing an overhaul the end of this month, so i'll be keen to see how many horses have been "recaptured"

(think i could possibly do with some new cats as my car looks like it's been over-fuelling for a while... :? )

I love reading "Walker's Workshop" every month. In fact, he's pretty much the only reason I buy PPC :D

Mate, you'd soon get fed up with MoTeC's "unlock for a fee" policy :D You can't even ask them a tech question without first crossing their palm with silver. VEERRRRY nice hardware though :notworthy:

If money was no object, it'd be Pectel for me. They're ugly little spuds and still run in DOS :D But the SQ6 contains all the features I want as standard and I know of an excellent resource on tuning the things, which is very important.

At the budget end of the scale, obviously Emerald, DTA, MegaDirt etc satisfy most people's needs.

Not wanting to big myself up or anything, but I've been mapping mine for a few years now as you know, but what I've found during my research etc is how b1tchy and defensive a lot of mappers can be :roll: No need for it. Thankfully the DTA forum is a brilliant community and no one is afraid to share maps or advice, and for no reward :salute:

Dependent on date, I would be interested in a VRT rolling road day...

As Pete says, it would be good to see different set ups and swap experiences.

I was thinking of an Autumn Weekend maybe? That way everyone will have done their summer holiday things and the ambient temperatures will be more favourable for turbos :D