Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

two VERY QUick questions,

what oil does my corrado 2ltr 16v take, ie, 15/40 etc?

And how far up on the dip stick does the oil wanna be, im not sure how to read the stick levels???

15/40 - the VW Silver Synta stuff is the best stuff to get and it doesn't cost the earth either :)

Side on, the stick looks like ---___-------------------------------O and the oil should be somewhere in the ___ bit. Ideally the upper half of it ;)

so not any old 15/40 will do?

Where can i get the vw synta(i asume u mean synsetic or however its spelt?)

Heh heh, yeah any old 15/40 will do, but the Synta stuff (brand name ;) ) is very good and it's actually cheaper than most!

VW stealers sell it and GSF sell it too I think.

Synta blue is 15/40, synta silver is 10/40.... gotta get your facts straight on here or you'll get attacked :wink:

Dipsticks are about £15 for the valver IIRC and are now a putrid sun-drenched orange colour now. You may also need a new plastic guide tube for the top of the tube, which costs about a quid.

Ah ok, well apart from the wrong grade of oil and the wrong engine type, I was doing ok... :oops:

I use either Magnatech or the Castrol 'High Mileage' stuff and have had no oil related probs.

Cheers,

Tom

i don't like that magnatec stuff - is the the 5-40 grade? thins out and engine gets chattery.

My local motor factor store does the vauxhall (spit!) semi synth -exactly the same spec as vw synta - for £7.95 - absolute bargain!!!! and me and chris/nosky/vortech/ whatthef&*kishisnametoadyidon'tknow have used it for 3-4 years - great value.

:lol:

Synta- good and cheap. The most important thing with oil (apart from using the right grade) is to change it regularly

Aye, agreed.

It's worth noting that Castrol Magnatec 15 and 10/40 smells exactly like Synta Silver (castrol oils have a unique 'signature' smell :lol: )..... and it's no coincidence, cause I saw a large pallet at my dealer with Castrol boxes on it....and inside them was Synta!

I do worry about you sometimes Kev, but then I guess the oil sniffing explains a lot... :lol:

It's the same colour and consistency too :lol:

Seriously though, I just noticed the smells when pouring them into my engine.... I'm not a habitual oil sniffer that gets booted out of Halfords every night :lol:

i don't like that magnatec stuff - is the the 5-40 grade? thins out and engine gets chattery.

You can get it in different grades IIRC, as I use the Magnatec 15/40.

Cheers,

Tom