Sign in to follow this  
Claret Badger

Rubber Wear

Is there any particular brand/type of tyre people on here can recomend for my VR Corrado :?: :?:

I have std Speedline Wheels - so I am only after 205 50 15's.

I have been quoted 73 quid for Michelin Pilots (fitted) - So I might go with these unless anybody can convince me that I "really" need to try A N Other brand.

So go ahead people throw your 2penneth worth in.

Pilots are good, but which ones? Exalto, Sport et al?

I've used loads of tyres on that size and it's all a bit of a lottery really, just try things and see how you get on. They're all much of muchness in the dry, it's in the wet where the differences are. Bridgestones, F1s etc are all superb in the wet.

Running on Kumho KU15s at the moment and no complaints so far, other than a slight dead feel at 9/10ths.....but for £50 each, can't grumble.

Mental dry tyres, no squealing or protesting at all.... good in the wet too.

I would assume they're the Sport.

hmmmmm - got to call them back now

:oops:

I had Avon zv3 on my old Golf and they gripped really well (in the dry)

:D

ZZ3s are good, ZV3s not so good :lol:

Pilot Sports are unlikely to be £73 mate! Closer to £100 each.... and I don't think they're available on 205/50 either.

Pilot Exalto PE2 is most likely what they quoted you.

A lot of us get our tyres from http://www.mytyres.co.uk and get a local place to fit em.... and I note they still sell the rather awesome Bridgestone RE720 at £55ish.... I really would recommend those personally. You'll be impressed.

Kev - what about 17" x 8" rims what size can I go up to on an unlowered car?

Is 215/40/17 the limit or can you go larger?

215/40 is OK and I'm sure you've been out in Tom's, but he had to crank his coillies back up. Personally I'd go for a broad shouldered 205, such as the Avon ZZ3 or F1 GSD3 which will fill out the rim nicely and look barely any narrower than the 215/40, if not the same. Have a look in my gallery at the inters pics and the RHs are fitted with 205 ZZ3s....excellent tyres and cheap!

You don't want to go larger in terms of sidewall, but you can go out to 225/35 if you want to risk scraping the arch over every bump :-)

i always use toyo (EDIT) t1-S, great all roung grip, mint in the dry. Since they have stoped making them i'm going to try some f1's next time round...

ZZ3s are good, ZV3s not so good :lol:

I'm so glad you said that, I was beginning to think I was expecting too much from tyres :)

i always use toyo ts1, great all roung grip, mint in the dry. Since they have stoped making them i'm going to try some f1's next time round...

You mean T1-S? If you like them try the new version, the T1-R, supposed to be as good in every way but wear more slowly. ;)

Yeah I did mean t1-s. I have heard good things about the t1-r so I guess it will come down to price next time round :-) (i will also edit my post lol)

Ive ran t1s's for a couple of years and i personally think that they are brill. A few of my mates have the t1r's and are supposed to be even better

I drove an RX8 with prelli Pzero neros recently savage grip one of the best road tires I’ve ever driven. Im not sure how they are in the wet but like glue on dry roads, they seem to wear well at least that’s what the owner of the car was telling me.

I have eagle F1s on my A3 (18s) and they are a good all round tire not sure if they come in 205 50 15 tho, some people claim they are soft but I’ve had good wear from the ones I’ve had over the years.

Ive had Pilot Sports in the past also they are a good all weather tire with nice grip also.

am i the only one who read the title of this thread and expected something to do with corradowales's fashion choices?

i have just had t1r's fitted at demon tweeks and was told by a couple of the lads there that the shoulder wear has improved a lot over the t1s's as i had t1s's before and the shoulder wear was quite bad from taking roundabouts too quickly and for £70 for a pair fitted they are a bargain

I haven't had good experience from the T1-S that I had before, I current have Avon ZV3 (which aint the best of tyres) and they actually feel better. That could also be due to the fact that the Toyo's were on 17s and the Avons are on 15s....

I have just had t1r's fitted at demon tweeks and was told by a couple of the lads there that the shoulder wear has improved a lot over the t1s's as i had t1s's before and the shoulder wear was quite bad from taking roundabouts too quickly and for £70 for a pair fitted they are a bargain

Aye, you can sink your thumb nail into an S but the R is a fair bit stiffer.

I won't ever use the S again, but might consider the R in the near future though.

I won't ever use the S again, but might consider the R in the near future though.

What's your experience like with the S then Kev?

Rubbish in the wet mate - imo.

Depends how you drive and what your expectations from a tyre are though. There are plenty of T1S fans onboard and they're probably getting wound up reading them being slated, but that's life. IMO they're shite and cost £30 a corner for a reason.

Well they're soft so are going to be pretty good in the dry. I thought they were OK for dry use (15" size) if a little squealy past 7/10ths but it was the feeling you're laying £5 on the road every corner that put me off....way too soft.....but give a nice ride because of it, compared to some other tyres with stiffer compounds and sidewalls.