Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

How do I adjust the clutch?

Hello- just been searching on the internet for a workshop manual to help me out with little bits like this- bit gutted to find out the only one available is a reprint of the proper VW technical manual for about 100 quid :( :( . Anyway- the clutch on my VR bites a little too high up for my liking and was going to adjust it this weekend.On my old Corsa it was a one minute job; why do I get the feeling its going to be a bit more complicated on the VR :roll:

Have been checking the US e-bay for the Bentley manual, some going for £50ish, nearly half UK money.

I bought mine from Amazon US - with cross-atlantic shipping, tax and everything, ended up at £70.

A lot cheaper than Amazon UK. Not sure what the prices are now though... might be worth a look?

Cheers james- appreciate your post with the diagram. Have had more trouble cos someone crashed into the C on the Arnison roundabout on Sat morning.. Its gonna take at least two weeks to get it straightened out. Saw your car on Friday night (green with white bumber). If u drive from the stonebridge pub up to Nevilles cross bank, there is a set of terrace houses on your right. The corrado is parked on a private drive (not mine) just after the terrace. Have a look at the damage if u r drivin past and let me know what you think.

Drive down the road about 30mph in top gear,dip the clutch,give it a good rev ,release the clutch and it should bite straight away to bring revs to normal...but if it continues to rev high the clutch is on way out :(

Also clutch judder is also a sign thats its poor... :(

Cheers James

How can you tell if you need a new clutch then? Its just that I though It would need replacing about now (75K).

If yer gears aint crunchin and yer clutch aint slippin - leave it well alone.

Drive down the road about 30mph in top gear,dip the clutch,give it a good rev ,release the clutch and it should bite straight away to bring revs to normal...but if it continues to rev high the clutch is on way out :(

Cheers James

also another way to tell if the clutch is going is.........park,put handbrake on,select 2nd gear and raise the clutch pedal.....if its good it should stall straight away if its bad then it should still keep on running but won't move at all.....remember not to use the throttle at all

Cheers James

also another way to tell if the clutch is going is.........park,put handbrake on,select 2nd gear and raise the clutch pedal.....if its good it should stall straight away if its bad then it should still keep on running but won't move at all.....remember not to use the throttle at all

It must be well f**ked to do that.. :lol:

James

Cheers James

It must be well f**ked to do that.. :lol:

James[/quote:4f5ad]

very true :lol: :lol:

I'd be surprised if only done 75k and needs new clutch - am on 104k miles now and clutch still feels light and smooth (touches wood) :D

I'd be surprised if only done 75k and needs new clutch - am on 104k miles now and clutch still feels light and smooth (touches wood) :D

PANIC - remember what happened the last time you said something like that .... :D

I'd buy a replacement clutch in now if I were you :wink: :lol:

Hence - the touch wood :p

PS. VR is running like a dream :p (goes off into the woods in search of trees)

True for some maybe - but I have had Corrados for 5yrs now and they have never given me any real grief..... Ive put a total of 80k miles on them in 5yrs and only had to replace wear and tear items and general servicing - Im not complaining at all 8) :)