Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Replacing headlight glass

How does it old one come off and how does the new one go on, does it need sleaing?

Any tips would be great thanks!

Neil

I'll tell you on the one condition that you document how to do it with pictures, then post it up as a Knowledge Base article :)

You need to remove the headlight (2 screws on top, 1 screw at the bottom accessible via a hole in the top of the slam panel). Obviously unplug it too :roll: :lol:

Then you remove the black plastic surround (late-spec lights only) - it's got some black gooey stuff that holds it on, so you might need to pull it a bit, but be careful not to snap it!

Then carefully use a screwdriver to remove the metal U shaped clips that hold the glass on. When you've taken all of those off, the glass should just come off.

While you have the glass off, DO NOT TOUCH THE REFLECTOR you'll damage it and it'll just flake off. New headlights are expensive too...

If you're keen and again, very gentle, you can use a soft lint-free cloth (i.e. not a bit of kithen roll!) to clean the reflector.

Then replacing the glass is the reverse of removal etc.

If you're just replacing one lens, then it might be an idea to take the other one apart and give the inside of the glass a clean as well. Depending on how grimey and scratched the old one is, it could look a bit cock-eyed with a new, clean one and an old, dirty one. ;)

Good luck :)

And the eejit that's supposed to be looking after the KB forgets about the headlight how-to. :roll:

And the eejit that's supposed to be looking after the KB forgets about the headlight how-to.

:lol: big night last night dinkus??

I wish... I've been decorating the house every night for the last week. I'm living on caffiene.

I wish... I've been decorating the house every night for the last week. I'm living on caffiene.

I was only joking when I said you should paint it all pink!!

well i did it, but as there was a hole in the lense, the reflector got dirty, so like an idiot i tried to clean it up, so i rubbed the back part and removing some of it showing the yellow behind, what an idiot i am!

But the clips are all broken on it anyway so i do need a new light UNIT anyway!

Im still hunting!

so i rubbed the back part and removing some of it showing the yellow behind, what an idiot i am!

While you have the glass off, DO NOT TOUCH THE REFLECTOR you'll damage it and it'll just flake off. New headlights are expensive too...

?? :lol:

ECP ( http://www.eurocarparts.com ) sell complete, genuine (late-spec, which I think is what you need) headlight units for £110 delivered... you may want to look for a second hand one...