Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

VR6 big bore throttle

I installed my enlarged throttle from Alpina527 tonight and thought I'd share my findings.

Check out the pics. Ian does a fine job of them and makes the bigger butterflies himself. Using some rough measurements, I make the standard butterfly 65mm and the big bore one 68mm. Doesn't sound a lot but you don't want it too large or drivability will suffer, but it's big enough to make a profound difference....right from 2000rpm onwards, and at 3500rpm it pulls a LOT harder and cleaner....and that's with my map/engine in a state of poor tune!

A bargain for £120 exchange (AmD want £250 + VAT) inc VAT. Ian hand delivered mine to my work the next day :shock: How's that for service?

Highly recommended.

A remap is advisable too as quite a bit more air is let into the engine.

The difference you've noticed Kev, is that with your S/C on, or are you still N/A?

With the S/C.

I've had one in the past when the engine was N/A and you could still feel the same difference, albeit to a lesser degree, obviously.

Just out of interest does Alpina527's TB differ from the AMD one at all or are they both exactly the same size?

Also, the AMD one, is that exchange as well?

I need to aquire one of these as the unichip remap I got from Asim with the VSR was mapped with his enlarged TB fitted. Thing is I can't be without my TB for even a day. How does the exchange work - would he be able to send one to me (in Holland) and I fit it and then send mine back, or do I first have to send my one?

If the AMD one is not exchange then I prefer that as I will still have my original one as is!?

Dutch

AMD ones are exchange and look to be pretty much the exact same as alpinas. you would be best to pm him about how the exchange would work sending to Holland.

They are very similar, but the AmD one has the centre spindle ground down for even more air flow at WOT, which I don't think makes much difference. It's the larger butterfly that gives the biggest difference. I don't know who AmD contract the work out to but theirs is done to a high standard. Alpina makes them himself and I'd personally go with his as it's far better value.

If he has a spare body, he will send out to you and then you return your old one. Best to speak to him about it.

So, should I decide to get one, would I be best waiting until a remap (Probably mid 2006) or would the car run OK without the remap?

You should be OK as the MAF will compensate, but a remap would maximise it's potential, so it's a recommendation rather than a necessity. I'd wait until you've got the Schrick on before getting a remap.

Was going to, but since I'm over week after next, before I get the Schrick, it'll probably be mid 2006 before I can afford a remap - may try and get it to coincide with a meet.

Graeme,

As I said to you quite recently, we'll have to try and get to the UK for a meet at some point and get them both on the rollers at the same time.

I fancy getting mine set up properly as well.

You? Coming to England with the car? Believe that when I see it!!! :lol:

Oh and IOM is part of the British Isles, so you don't have to say "coming to the UK", LOL! :lol:

LOL, so if you're not part of the UK, what are you?? :lol:

We don't want your sort over here..... stay away, yerr hear?! :lol:

This is a local forum for local people... :lol:

Hmm, there is actually a place down the road from here called Royston...

We are a 'crown dependancy' - the queen rules us like she rules you ;)

But we have our own government, the longest running government in the world, none the less.

You guys have bigger ones than we do, I can only imagine how nice a 68mm would be w/ my BVH and 268°'s