Sign in to follow this  
G60 Bob

Completely blown my screw!

How do i fix it, can the idle screw be replaced? I have blocked off the hole for the moment to stop the whistling and the boost escaping but the idle is quite high.

It doesnt look like there are any threads for a screw to go back in; is it possibe i will have to replace the whole throttle body?

nah, they do just blow out every now and then, and I've never heard of one taking the thread with it... Beavis did this to Darren's Golf G60 (ex H100VW) the first time he borrowed it... :lol:

It's the same part as on the K-Jet golfs of both 8V and 16V flavours and of the digifant Golf GTIs too so getting one from a scrap yard is pretty simple... 8)

my mk1 gti lost this screw on a trackday once,, since replacing it I have made a rubber cap that goes over the screw so if it pops out it will not be lost, reason the y fall out is the o rin on them goes brittle with age and does not hold or seal the screw so well,, allowing it to creep out on the threads,, first sign of this is a tickover that keeps on needing to be adjusted as it keeps rising over time,,,

Got a replacement idle screw ordered from VW on Saturday after expaining to the parst monkey that it did actually exist for about 10 mins until he open his eyes and read the screen - so it should be here on Wednesday.

It better be the right part cause i have to drive to 'Electric Picnic' on Friday for a weekend of hedonism.

nah, they do just blow out every now and then, and I've never heard of one taking the thread with it... Beavis did this to Darren's Golf G60 (ex H100VW) the first time he borrowed it... :lol:

A known defect I forgot to mention.............. :roll:

On track days the tickover used to creep up as the screw backed out. Only noticed that it took ages to come right down to the right speed. The ISV was struggling to make it tickover slow enough.

Usually the O ring is knackered and not gripping the bore of the hole adequately enough to stop it vibrating out.

Gavin