Sign in to follow this  
Bournemouth James

Wheel refurb

abt 35 quid without any welding done from spit and polish theres a few guys in southend that charge abt the same-ish too i havent got any contact details though

£35 sounds fat too cheap to me!

Any decent place in Bournemouth mate like Wheel magic in Poole near Jacksons will charge you alot more to polish a rim. Re painting is much cheaper but polishing involves much more labour. I did mine, even with tools and getting a mate to sand blast them took ages.

I recommend doing them your self. Take your time. All you need is loads of sandpaper, a spare set of rims and some nitromorse and a dremmel sander.

Nitrosmorse the wheels with tyres off, sand out any chips or kerb marks till its smooth, the sand away the paint then primer then keep goinf up in down in the grades till each grade is smooth and then wet and dry and go down in the grades with that. Then applyu white polish to clean up, then buff and repeate wet and dry process till you get a really good shine then polish and buff.

There is a new cleaner out that cleans and leaves the polished rims looking really shiny and it build a surface to stop the wheels from pitting. Or get them as polished as you want then get them professionaly lacqured and the gloss of the lacquer will make them look even brighter.

If you were to get a company to do that then you are talking around £100 / £200 quid a wheel.

I think the standard VR6 Speedlines polished highley would look the nuts! Whatever colour C you have. I have a spear set of speedlines that I may do just to sell on when finished!

I have done the stage on wy rims where they need one more polish and then lacqured. You have to be carefull that you dont kerb the wheels or the water will get into the lacquer and strip the wheel and it will lokk terrible. You either clean the polished rims all the time and my rims are Kahns you would think they were easy to do, but Auto Sol takes time and effort to get them looking sparkiling.

I am going to paint the Kahn badge on the rim in the same colour as my C!

Call wheel magic anyway, sorry I have rambled on again as usual, but I have heard they are good. They did my friends M3 E46 Cab - the 19" rims as his wife kerbed one and he nearly had a baby but you would hardly notice it was damaged before.

I will show you my rims when they are done. I would rather see you when my c is lowered which should be this weekend! I hate the high ride look on my C, I have had i the C a year on only 25 mm eibach springs but had 2 accidents 2 pay for , 1 my misses did the other me! So finally go round to tgetting shocks.

Your car looks really tidy and smart by the way. :D

i can get wheels polished and lacqured for around £200 per set they do take around two weeks to do though as the company is very busy...

mirror polished buy hand does a lot of the show car wheels .... then stoved lacquer

well you will often find things are alot cheaper from people with little overheads.. this guy is very good and i totally recomennd him for any polishing work..

putting laquer on polished alloy is not a good idea

for the paint to stick it needs to be scratched or sanded it wont stick to a highly polished surface

after a little while the laquer will lift letting water etc under it corroding them worse than ever

when we use to polish motorcycle frames we used a product called belgum alu this will protect polished alloy for up to 6 months b4 recoating and is a lot cheaper than a bodyshop coat of laquer

funky

FUNKY has hut the nail on the head with the BELGUM ALU it is top stuff to use on any type of polishing. :)

If you do look at polishing them yourself buy all the parts ,mops ,polishes etc from the biggest polishing shop in the uk.....CETEM. :D

By the way if you do get them polished you wont have any finger tips left trying to keep them clean & shiny. :shock:

bit much for a hand job though..

guys i was stating for a typical refurb for 1 wheel for £35 ive never had it done but i dented and curbed one my rims and got quoted £50 plus andy welding that was required

Depending how big the dent is.... I had a small chunk out of my rim and all I did was sand away the chunk till it was smooth. I used 80 grit paper to get all the kerb marks out.

Likeskid, said, you almost wear out your finger prints and your hands will feel like sandpaper for weeks. Thats when having a bird that has 1000000 moisturisers helps!

RAM ur a nutter mate i would rather get a new rims lol a kerbed alloy is a good excuse for a new set actually if ur fully loaded LOL :p

I take it u got the aluminium finish rims coz i got black chrome-ish finish and its a bitch to match the shade always looks amateur finish coz the colour wolfrace urban racer finish

AAIGHT, , If you were to take any kered rim to get fixed, they would sand it back or weld a new bit in. It was only a small chip but noticible.

Once my rims are properly finished I will show you a pic. They look cool now when clean and polished with Autosol or something but there is a new special lacquer that will make them look even glossier. Just have to make sure I dont kerb them or they will need re lacqured.

Im going to get the ' K' for the Kahns painyted in teh same colour as the car. I paid £145 for the rims, needed new tyres all round and drove to Biester. I found them from E bay, I miss read the bid to me sale price. Drove all the way up there with a few mates and said, yep no wories, there £145! He said, that was a bid price, I want more than that. In the end, as I drove a fair way and we were sound to him he said, ok, sod it just give me that. They came off his MK3 Golf VR6. Good deal I thought. New rubber wasnt that expensive and went for 215 40's and the car handles much better and I feel more comfortable when driving it hard around roudabouts and corners than I did on the 15 " rims.

If I had the money for new rims I would have still bought these wheels, they suit the car and when finished will be worth more than a new set IMO. Plus I learned a bit about polishing and spent some quality time with my C as the C was in the body shop having a new front end almost and I knew the owner of the body shop and me and a mate went back to the bosy shop each night till 2 am in the morning just polishing and sanding. The wife was going crazy at me saying I love my C more than here. I jokingly said, its a close call! Boy, that didnt go down well. I got a slap!

The rims balanced up perfectly and look cool, especially at night when you get headlights reflecting on them - they just sparkle. Thought about getting those nice lights to go on the valve caps !! Joke!

right so ur telling me to sand down my wheels till it hurts staying in the bodyshop till 2am coming home getting slapped up and then ending up so bloody mental i go to the saxo shop and get lil blue lights

HELL NO

lol wait till i finish mine

AAIGHT, I was just trying to save you money for the same look that can be achieved by a professional company.

Secondly, you dont have to polish the whole rim, just do the rim or something, so you save time and your rim/ s will look new again.

Also, what I wrote was to help anyone else that may be less fortunate than you to just go out and buy a new set of rims as one of the wheels were kerbed.

:lol:

Rams i filled my chipped and kerbed rim with some aluminium bonder found in local halfords and trying to smooth it out using 800 wet and dry but like u said it takes time lot of time and precision and i might be painting it tonight will get a pic once its done it dont look too bad but u can see its been done up coz of the exclusive bloody colour of the rim send u pics soon

makes me wanna put standard rims back one :cry:

FurkiG60, You will get there. I was going to say mate that if it was just the outer rim that was chipped then try and just smooth the rims by sanding and polish the outer rim which would look sweet. If it os chipped on the middle then I can see how is going to be tricky.

Once the break dust gets o there you wont notice it as much, well untill your rims are gleaming clean. It can make all the difference having good looking rims so I understand that you wanting them to look spot on.

RAMS,, I shoulda just sanded it down but because i filled it b 4 i started this convo with urself i had to fill it back up yesterday again but i cant get a smoothed out finish. I dont wanna sand it after i filled it up coz i know im gonna make even more of a mess so i painted it to the closest colour i could and have lacquered it but it looks like someone has stuck on some colour coded blu tack.

annoyed and furious

Think i might just have to slap myself and get another rim

Show me a pic of the rim.... It sounds like the chip mark would have looked better...LOL.

You would have been amazed by the finish you get just sanding the chip away into the alloy, it took 5 minutes to get a fairly big chip out that my friend thought would need ally welded so it just goes to show ey. :shock:

I have many friends who own tyre and wheel shops in the south and if you tell me the rim etc and show me a pic I will get them to order you some paint that is the same colour match. Just prime the part you need to paint with a high build primer - grey and I will make sure you get it sorted. :)

i have 56k hence shit quality pic soz mate im thinking of just getting a replacement man

Rams, Am thinking of polishing my speed lines or getting them powdered.

When you polish them, what stops the wheel/tyre seal from corroding and looseing air? did you polish the back of the wheels as well, looks like a long job.

Cheers Guy.

macca, when you polish thye wheel, just do the front of the wheel other wise you will end up hating your wheels and wish you never started.

The tyre seals on the inside of the rim where you dont polish so its left as normal, you polish the very tops of the rims and a tiny bit on the inside so you wont see anything when the tyre is on.

I sprayed the insides of my wheel black and the sides of the spokes to make the spokes look thinner and stand out, plus its less polishing.

Its a long job, but you will be satisfied with the results and wheels do make a big difference to a car. A set of polished speedlines, like a mirror polished look would look sweet. Very classy and your C is on the one of the best wheels sizes for driving!