Sign in to follow this  
samm_cvr6

WILL AN FTO 2.0 V6 MIVEC "EAT" A VR?

The problem with Calibra T lumps (a brilliant engine actually) in a Corsa/Nova is they don't leave them at the standard 204hp. They mess with them to make about 260, sometimes 300+ brake. What was a Nova designed to handle? A wimpy 1600 GTE 100hp engine max, you triple that power and watch the strut turrets literally tear away from the inner wings. It's a short lived glory. A classic case of too much grunt for the car if ever there was one.

Samm, the V6 Mivec Manual isn't bad, but the auto is slow, trust me.

I agree in principle with waht you're saying, but I also think you're wrong. I know of at least 3 XE'd Nova's, all running good power figures, two above 210bhp. Now, if you have the intelligence to put these engines into a car, (or if you pay a garage to do it for you) then you're gonna have the sense to strengthen it. One of my mates put his 167bhp XE lump into his 1.1 Nova shell iin his garage, but he still managed to seam weld the car.

I think you're being a bit short sighted really to be honest. An LET'd Corsa will last if done properly, and will probably destroy most things on the road. My mate's Nova XE on carb's is running nearly 300bhp/tonne....

Now, if you have the intelligence to put these engines into a car

I'm not quite sure intelligence is what made a chap I know spend over 15K on his Nova only to sell it for £2500!

Maybe I'm wrong but I class that as stupidity. :lol:

And anyway you can upgrade everything if you like, but is the chassis on a Nova/Corsa up to the job of handling 300+Bhp? Hmm, something tells me no...

Back to topic, the only way a Mivec (GPX) will eat you is if you accidently drive into the 48" exhaust pipe most seem to have :lol:

I'm not quite sure intelligence is what made a chap I know spend over 15K on his Nova only to sell it for £2500!

Maybe I'm wrong but I class that as stupidity.

:lol:

beat a couple of FTO's in my valver before! That was before the mods! Not sure what they were though, Think that the C's tall 5th helps like!

Evo figures for the FTO:

BHP/Ton : 167 (Rado VR6 is 156..)

0-60 : 7.2 seconds

Top speed: 140MPH

Comments: Funky looking coupe - cheap and nasty feel

Comments: Funky looking coupe - cheap and nasty feel

Yeah, I think the Jap's ripped off the Aston Martin look with the front end and then run out of ideas for the back!

Cheap and nasty feel, yep I couldn't agree more, they do feel as if your driving around in a vacuum formed bit of plastic.

I'd still love to give one a try - with the right wheels I think they look quite nice, and I still like that exhaust note despite it not entirely being to everyones tastes.

Agreed- lowered with nice wheels in a dark colour, they look good.

With regard to the Sunny Pulsar GTI-R, had a play with one in my last VR a few months back. Started at around 50 mph, and he pulled a few car lengths quite quickly. Once in third however, different story! Cruised past him and kept going. Really miss third gear in the VR, it really is truly impressive.

4th gear is favourite in my VR, but 3rd is more useable. I reckon from a rolling start I would give a Pulsar a good run for it's money! assuming we are both standard of course.

My brothers mate had a Pulsar (swapped it for his girlfriends Suzuki Jimni!! She didn't even know :lol: )

It was a quick car (0-60 in 5.5 IIRC) and the 4WD was very good, he spent out about £300 for some special air filter that added an unbelievable amount of extra Bhp.

I've never come up against one yet, but I'm sure the C VR would definately be a match for it.

Now, if you have the intelligence to put these engines into a car, (or if you pay a garage to do it for you) then you're gonna have the sense to strengthen it. One of my mates put his 167bhp XE lump into his 1.1 Nova shell iin

Exactly, and how many Nova boys do it properly? I know the Nova shell can handle it (with suitable bracing), there were rallying Nova GTEs after all, but your average chav knows nothing of bracing the turrets and structural integrity. They're more interested in blowing things away than reliability.

yes and f-ing unreliable

Aye, on an Evo meet a few years ago, a GTi-R jammed into 5th gear over a crest and wrote the gearbox off. The transmission is that car's biggest weakness.

Now, if you have the intelligence to put these engines into a car, (or if you pay a garage to do it for you) then you're gonna have the sense to strengthen it. One of my mates put his 167bhp XE lump into his 1.1 Nova shell iin

Exactly, and how many Nova boys do it properly? I know the Nova shell can handle it (with suitable bracing), there were rallying Nova GTEs after all, but your average chav knows nothing of bracing the turrets and structural integrity. They're more interested in blowing things away than reliability.

the ones that know what their doing still have 1.4sr written on the back and std as poss looking exterior

the ones that know what their doing still have 1.4sr written on the back and std as poss looking exterior

Couldn't agree more.

was racing one,, back in the days in an Astra GTE 16V (my cousins) had we got whupped was std as hell on the outside and we was confused to say the least pulled up at a petrol pump abt 1/2 mile later,,,,, found out it was running over 200hp :lol:

Not long after I bought my C I had a Nova right up my arse at a set of lights, me in my VR thought right 'ave some of this!

I give it everything and after about a quarter of a mile I was only a few car lengths in front!! Very humbling experience...

That's why I've taken the VR6 badges off my car, just in case I get scalped, then they'll think they've beaten a G60 :-P

Funny, I've de-badged my G60 and everyone wonders what it is 'cos it's too quick to be a VR... :p

Kev? I dunno about that, you've not heard my G60 running properly... :p

chrishill, but mine has the late bonnet and lights.... :p