Sign in to follow this  
stevemac

Intercooler pipework question

Gonna be fitting a large front mounted intercooler fairly soon.

Question regarding pipework -

Would I be better fitting black plastic pipes - similar to the standard ones or would I be able to take advantage of the heat reflective properties of polished aluminium. Or would stainless steel be better ??

Would shiny plastic be better ??

Cheers

allways use ali / thin walled stst where posible stops and tubes flexing etc

Cheers Darren

Polished aluminium it is then 8)

Finally got my new 'cooler, from a Mercedes C-class !!

Friend at work is custom-building some new alluminium header tanks to replace plastic originals. I'll be fitting 63mm polished alluminium alloy tubing custom bent & welded to fit...... :tongue:

Would it be a good idea to fit a RSR outlet to my R1 charger at the same time or would Jabbasport have fitted one of them along with the conversion ??

have a look i would hope you havent still got the std muffeler box on there as should(jabba) of had the exhaust of the charger enlarged on a R1 rebuild any way and the muffler will be restricting in imho... and its proberly leaking too.. :lol: rsr for you steve..

get a U-bend off the golf. tis the best version to use for front mount. i used the original plastic boost tubes cut up. what you find is if you use the hose from plastic box to IC in pipe and some on the IC to TB boost tube you can create the same shape hose as the golf uses. gotta clear that gearbox linkage. heatsoak on piping isn't much of a issue. IC heatsoak is though. the air passes thru the pipes that quick that it doesan't have time to absorb heat

have a look i would hope you havent still got the std muffeler box on there as should(jabba) of had the exhaust of the charger enlarged on a R1 rebuild any way and the muffler will be restricting in imho... and its proberly leaking too.. :lol: rsr for you steve..

Jabba didn't charge me for a replacement outlet so I'm assuming that they didn't fit one !! :clown: What really pisses me off is that they didn't advise me to fit one or offer/suggest to fit one. (gonna send you a pm about that)

You are correct about the boost leak ... :x

Both inlet and exhaust chambers were enlarged/ported.

Bahn Brenner in seattle washington has RSR kits on sale for $114 USD. i picked one up. sounds like a good idea for you Steve.

Gonna have to get one soon so I can finish designing my new pipework setup.... :thumbleft:

i think if you look at their web site it says free shipping as well. i dont know if that applies to the uk, but its worth asking them.

their system blots right up to the g60 in a matter of minutes almost painless.

i think if you look at their web site it says free shipping as well. i dont know if that applies to the uk, but its worth asking them.

their system blots right up to the g60 in a matter of minutes almost painless.

Thanks for the help.

I think there will be a UK distributor/importer. I'll have a look around the 'net later.

they wont even ship to canada free of charge so the UK is out. i asked them to send it UPS Air to avoid duty/brokerage fees at the border and was told this was no problem, was charged for it.. but they sent it UPS Ground and i was charged more duty/brokerage than i care to mention!!! :x :x

if you want a rsr kit mate mail me as g-werks do one for £50 + p&p

Cheers Darren - email on it's way...... :thumbleft: