Sign in to follow this  
dutch

VR6 questions....

Hello there....i'm new to this forum so please bare with my odd questions..

I recently sold my MK2 Golf G60 and I'm in the market for a new car. On my list is a Corrado VR6. However I'm a little confused as to the different models availabe. I noticed there is a "Storm" model out there.....I've done a search and I can't really see the difference from a normal VR to the Storm? What are the differences? I've been searching in Germany as well (mainly becasue I'm looking for a LHD) and I've noticed a couple of VR's classed as "limited edition"? what are these ones? ...anyone selling a lhd Corrado out there?

thanks

D

the Storm was a limited edition the VW made near the end of the Corrado production, there were 500 made, 250 in classic green and 250 in dark blue (cant remember the name of it)... as far as i know they are just the same as a VR of the same age but with leather interior, BBS Solitude wheels instead of the VR's Speedlines, and that all important 'Storm' badge!!! there is no difference in performance etc from a normal VR....

am sure i'll be corrected quickly if i am wrong...

hth.... :)

Storms were the last off the line (or there abouts) special editions, 500 made 250 green 250 blue (cant remember the proper names for the colours) and i think 10 of each were autos. They got a higher spec trim, different wheels and a badge, all of which could be bought as options on non storm VR's. Theres been alot of debate about the extra money they command, its up to you to decide if you think the extra is worth it.

there were various 'limited edition' corrados in other countrys but i dont know too much info about those, just dont be fooled by 'karmann' limited edition interiours, all corrados got them!

-edit-

yup no mechanical differences, i think the only major change that happened in the life of the vr6 was the swap from the early distributor based engine to the later coilpack.

Ok.. welcome to the forum! I should suggest that you use the search as we talk about this sort of subject on a near enough daily basis, but i'll quickly round up for you!

Storm came out in 1995 to signify the end of production of the Corrado.. 250 were done in classic green (was available on non-storms) with a cream leather interior, and 250 were made in mystic blue (not available on the corrado normally) with black leather. Aside from different wheels and a few badges, that is basically the extent of the differences with the Storm. In fact its possible to get much higher specced non-storm VR6's!

That was about it for limited editions on the VR6 - anything else is just the seller sticking some Wolfsburg badges on the car or something like that.

There was one other limited edition but forget about ever owning one - in 1992 they release 6 (yep, 6) Corrado Campaigns which had brick red / blue leather interior and a mauve coloured paintwork..

*edit*

Meh, beaten to it ;)

Firstly, welcome aboard :D

The Corrado Club of Great Britain website has a section outlining all of the different models that were available in the UK - http://www.corradoclub.org/specifications.html

Be careful though, as people try and pass all kinds of things off as being 'limited edition' when it comes to Corrados.

All Corrados were made by Karmann and they all have a Karmann badge on the interior (apart from Storms, which have a Storm badge).

The Storm and Campaign were UK-specific models, so you won't find them in LHD, but the European mainland got a couple of special editions too.

There was a Jet which was a G60 with a purple interior and there might be another one too, but I can't remember what it was called.

The Corrado buying guide and checklist is worth looking through as well.

And of course, have a look in the Event Announcements forum to see if people are having a get together near you - then you can see what you should and shouldn't be looking for and people will probably be more than happy to take you out for a spin too :)

Good luck! :D

Edit: Dammit too slow... :lol: But hey, I put links in my post ;)

toal snob factor in truth.....

Yep, and only the UK got them because VAG know UK buyers think more of a plastic badge than the metal underneath it.

the only other limited edition was the karman campaign. that was a run of just 6 cars (now only 4 left i believe) at the very begining of the VR6 launch. It had red brick leather and different alloys.

best bet is to look for a decent NORMAL VR6 with leather. dont worry about the storm or the campaign as you will pay a silly premium for exactly the same car!

Mystic Blue Pearl Effect (Black leather) Classic Green Pearl (Beige leather)

Be a little careful when buying a storm, most are genuine, but there are a few fakes out there.

I looked at few storms, but settled on a moonlight blue vr6 (which had the black leathers as an option when bought new).

But as the others said - main difference is the badges and having a limited edition (will always raise the premium). I personally love the mystic blue, the only pet hate i have is the internal storm badge on the gear stick (looks a bit to toy like) - thats on my HO though, not wanting to start a religous war :)

WOW.....talk about fast responces!! thanks for the info....my biggest problem at the moment is trying to find a left hand drive one....

lol...na....I'm a Canadian living here in the UK for the moment.....i just can't get use to RHD and since UK allows LHD cars on the road why not!

believe me...i've tried.....my finally decision is now between a 93 VR6 or a 1990 944 S2...........hmmmmmm...

3.0 late 944 is the only other car that was on my list against the vr. Its the only non 911 i like, but even the run offs are starting to date more than the C looks wise. Main thing that put me off was the long gearing and therefore apparant lack of acceleration to 100, VR is much much more punchy.

Left hooker should save you some cash as well bud, maybe up to 1000.

Yey, i was the first to mention that !! no links on my post though sorry.

Welcome to The Forum dutch... LHD will cost you more in insurance than RHD, but that's about it for the downsides... 8)

The JET is the most common (and even then, it's not exactly common) LHD special edition over in the rest of Europe, IIRC they were available in Purple or Red with much brighter door cards than the normal cars. There was also (I believe, although I've never seen one) a Pirelli edition which I've been told was only available in white, but this may be a myth... Anything else is likely to be someone trying it on... ;)

Oh, and if it says "Wolfsburg" anywhere near anything on a Corrado, then that's aftermarket as Corrados weren't made in Wolfsburg, they were made in Osnabruk... ;)

mmmmmmmmmm........ i'd sell my limbs/vital organs/soul for one of those red Jet G60's....... never even seen pics of one never mind one for sale..... :(

i just can't get use to RHD and since UK allows LHD cars on the road why not!

dutch - if you do go for that, make sure you have a passengers eyes for if you ever try to overtake a lorry on a long winding country road.

.....in Canada we only had the 2.7 (I think) Corrado...at first I thought the ad i was reading was a typo when it read 2.9!! then i noticed all the corrado's here are 2.9!! very nice...the North American ones are 2.7 rated at 176 bhp...