Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Joe

CALLING ALL PAINT EXPERTS!!! Need advice on high temp paint

As many of you know I have taken the engine out of the car to be rebuilt to a better spec and acid dipped to clean it up. I want to then paint the engine block, head, rocker cover, charger and all of the other ancilleries to preferably a gloss black to match the body!

What is the best paint to use for this, preferably in a spray can for a smooth finish??? Do I just use the high temp paints from halfords that go up to about 500 deg or are there a better option out there that can withstand the heat and steam/pressure cleaning! That will also last long term??????

You're help will be much appreciated

I second that stevo29,whilst building up my

g60 valver engine i sprayed the rusty exhaust mani. using some high temp. spray paint,utter crap,the(treated) rust came through after a couple of weeks and now looks horrible.

Por15's range of products are available through frost automotive products.

Scruffythefirst just had all his engine bits painted by a paintshop. They used a 2-pack paint because they said it's be better than powder coat and it was pretty cheap too.

No idea how it's going to stand up to heat, cos he's not got as far as finishing the engine build yet, but if you're interested I can find out what they used...

Scruffythefirst just had all his engine bits painted by a paintshop. They used a 2-pack paint because they said it's be better than powder coat and it was pretty cheap too.

I had some very visible bits done in 2 pack and laquered cos the powdercoating place thought they'd get a better finish and a better choice of colours. My blocks done in hammerite, and i've got some stuff powdercoated in gloss black. Although if it did it again, i'd get everything done in 2 pac and laquered and all the brackets and stuff powdercoated. probably cost you less than £100 for 2 pac for the whole eningine and powdercoating.

Hammerite is oil based, so if you EVER spill any oil or petrol in the engine bay, or work on the engine with greasy hands, it'll take the paint off the engine... :|

Alloy wheel paint is good, although that's normally silver. void the "ultra high temp" paint sprays (with a 4 branch manifold on the spray can) 'cos they're crap as VEEDUBBED, says...

I used the hi-temp paint on engine laquer, which, as the name implies, is designed for painting onto engines! :lol: It's a brush on paint, but you can get a VERY good finish with it as it's nice and thick and takes ages to set so it sags neatly into a nice coat rather than leaving brushmarks everywhere... It's oil and temp resistant but it does smell horrible for the first couple of minutes after you first warm the engine up... :pukeright: :lol:

it shouldnt ever get that hot up there - but beadblasting and powdercoating it is adequate afaik. Mine is costing £30.

Does it have to be special paint thats only in base colours or can you get it done in say body colour? Metallic?

In the end, paint just wasn't up to the job........ It was fine with the heat, but just kept chipping off with the slightest knock with a spanner or something.

I also found out after it cost me as much to paint as it does to powdercoat, so I have now gone to powdercoating everything I want done

a decent powdercoater will have a very broad range of colours including mettalics... I use Greenspeed in Macclesfield - they're reasonable pricewise and excellent service and quality wise...

The engine mounts I had done 3 years ago still clean up to be mint now, and that' after they've been ripped out of one car and plonked into another too! :lol: