Sign in to follow this  
vwdubs

Can't get coilovers to move

Having just tried to adjust my coilovers they just wont budge. Someone has already mentioned just trying to oil them. Anyone else got any ideas?

Just to ensure im not being stupid- The bottom adjuster is the locking adjust and needs to be turned anti-clockwise and the top adjuster needs to be turned clockwise (this is to heighten it) as its too low.

Should I be using both spanners at the same time and twisting both in the opposite direction or should I just be able to turn the bottom adjuster anti-clockwise then adjust the top one? (currently they wont budge)

As always I really appreciate any feedback

you need to turn them both as you say,bottom 1 anti and top 1 clockwise.

both c spanners at the same time.

the problem is that they seize together. :x

give them a good soaking in wd40 or similar first,but be sure not to get it on the piston as it may run down the seals and knacker them.

neil.

Hmm - what are they and how long have they been on there??

This is one of the main problems with coilovers, seizing up, last week when my car was being MOT'd I sprayed the threads clean with WD40 and then coating in white grease to prevent corrosion over the winter...

I'd leave them to soak with WD40, or PlusGAS if yu have any and try again tomorrow...

Your adjustment procedure sounds correct - are you using the tools that came with the kit??

Just wondering if you need to take the tension out of the springs?

Just wondering if you need to take the tension out of the springs?

as in spring comperessors m8?

ive never had to,when they have been seized i think its more a case of the ally spring seats oxidising and kindly welding themselves to the shock body/other plate.

Sounds like I was being a numpty as I have thought, now sitting down for a smoke to chill myself out.

I was trying to just turn the bottom one anti-clockwise without holding the top or turning the top clockwise.

You have just confirmed for me that I should have been turning both at the same time and unlocking them.

Only just put them on but they had been on another G60 for 6 mths from new so it should be doable if i sort my head out and do it first thing tom morning :)

Thx for the input and Super for answering pm.

Loctite have just released a new release spray which you can get from halfords. I used it to free off my coillies to goof effect, it has some fangled freezing chemical techology and spraying it on the threads above the collars, I could see the lubricant flow down the threads below the collars.

They cracked off easily with the minimum of effort. Wind both collars back and forth a few times to clear out the threads and then you should be good to go.

Once your height is adjusted, you can either clean the remaining threads with a wire brush and wrap PTFE tape round them, or you can do what I do and literally soak all exposed threads and the 'helper' spring (if fitted) with waxoyl. This will protect the threads over winter.

It's a good idea to periodically crack the two collars off and wind the lower one up and down every now and then.

Thanks for all the tips guys.. Ill take a trip to Halfords if no luck tom morning before work.

They are Konigsport Coilovers and I dont believe they have an extra locking nut unless anyone knows deiiferent but thx for heads up Billinj

My old set of FK konigsports never had a locking grub screw. I can also recommend Halfords own brand of pentrating oil - some good stuff there.

Loctite have just released a new release spray which you can get from halfords. I used it to free off my coillies to goof effect, it has some fangled freezing chemical techology and spraying it on the threads above the collars, I could see the lubricant flow down the threads below the collars.

They cracked off easily with the minimum of effort. Wind both collars back and forth a few times to clear out the threads and then you should be good to go.

Once your height is adjusted, you can either clean the remaining threads with a wire brush and wrap PTFE tape round them, or you can do what I do and literally soak all exposed threads and the 'helper' spring (if fitted) with waxoyl. This will protect the threads over winter.

It's a good idea to periodically crack the two collars off and wind the lower one up and down every now and then.

kev - is this the spray that smells like "deep-heat" if so i have been using it for months with great results... i keep meaning to tell people about it !

*mod edit - quote sorted for you Daz - Henny*

did you undo the grub screw if they have one, my avos have a tiny grub screw that you have to undo.

a tip there is to replace the allen head grub screw,with a 10mm bolt.

think its 10mm spanner size anyway?

whats the name then? Locitite Release Spray?

Any specific name, colour of bottle price cos i know i'll buy the wrong thing given the opportunity :roll:

I had terrible trouble with my H&Rs a while back. One of the front collars had seized and from the look of it had spent some time in a vice by the previous German owner. As a result it was both seized and buckled!

I spent 4 consecutive days trying to free it up using various tools/oils. In the end after breaking 2 chain belts, and hacking the teeth to bits with a concrete chisel I took to heat.

It was a bit risky I know but I managed to concentrate on the collar only and after 3-4 mins it budged slightly. A can or WD40 later and it was totally free, the gamble had paid off, I wouldn’t recommend heating coilovers you risk damaging them and yourself in the process, I took a calculated risk and it worked out. Its not always the case that this will work, I did it as a last resort as my patience had worn out.