Sign in to follow this  
TimVR

Power Steering rack - my first post here!!

Hi all,

found this forum today, looks top notch!!

I've had my 95 M VR6 now for 6 months and it is starting to shbow a problem or two!

Main thing is power steering fluid leak (it's not from any of the pipes, so I think the seals may have gone)

How much should I pay for a replacement and are they tricky to fit?

Many thanks in advance,

Tim

Is it not leaking out of the pump? How many miles has the car done? I've never had to replace a rack, not even on my 210,000 mile MK1, but that's not to say your VR is not in need of one.

Check for wetness around the unions on the rack and behind the rubber bellows at each end. Also check for play in the rack. The tiniest movement on the steering wheel should translate to movement of the road wheels. If there is a slight delay in the road wheels moving, the rack is knackered or your tie rod ends are.

As for price, not sure. I think it's a MK3 based rack on the VR6 so should be around £100 from G&S or three times that from VW.

HTH

Kev

right as kev says make sure that it is the rack that needs replacing

anyway here are the parts prices from VW and euro-car-parts

Steering racks

2.9i VR6 1H2422061AX...........£386.84.......... VW

Mk 3 Golf/vento/corrado..#603440080(new).......£329.95(genuine exchange)...........euro car parts

Mk 3 Golf/vento/corrado..#603440081(recond)....£180...................euro car parts

all prices are excluding VAT

Hi Kev,

that's great, will check asap.

Many thanks for your help, I can see myself getting well into this Forum!!

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately I have had to rplace a rack and pump. Yes I didn't sort the leaking rack out and the pump ran dry (stereo to loud).

I have a G60 and found that when the rack sas undone I still had to undo the subframe and lower it a little to gain the room needed.

Fortunately for me I have the use of a garage and all the equipment needed.

There is a good VW place in blackburn who does second hand parts called VW only. He might sound a little rough but when I first picked up my car I had to buy a new gearbox. He supplied it and even offered to replace it should it fail within 6 months.

More recently he let me borrow a set of clocks to check out if that was the problem with my speedo on the PCB rather than just selling them to me.

Give him a call he's called Carl @ VW Only just of the M65 well worth the run.