Sign in to follow this  
gsbellew

how to change the gearbox oil

Probably a very basic question, on a G60 gear box where are the drain and re-fill plugs, how much and what type of oil is best and what tools would I need?

Planning on doing this very soon on my '92 G60, now at 175k on original gear oil, as far as I can tell... :pale:

Link to the KB seems to be broken :scratch: but still found the info after a quick search there - need to get me one of those 17mm Allens!

Looking forward to silky smoothness :D

Cheating way to do it is get a long M10 (I think, could be M12) hex head nut. Stick this inside a 17mm socket and use this to open the threaded gearbox drain.

Worked a treat on mine, and cost approx 18p 8)

Cheating way to do it is get a long M10 (I think, could be M12) hex head nut. Stick this inside a 17mm socket and use this to open the threaded gearbox drain.

Worked a treat on mine, and cost approx 18p 8)

Defo an M10 - measured it, but couldn't find a long-headed bolt or nut :(

Got the 17mm hex 'socket' (should be plug?) from Half' and have just Plusgas'd the two bungs - top tip that, along with getting some tubing and a funnel for the refill bit! :thumb right:

I found some of the long nuts in wickes. They came as a pack with a section of M10 threaded bar.

Plug?!?.....Nope Just stick the long nut inside a 17mm socket. Half(ish) of the nut should still be sticking out of the socket, so you just use this to open the gearbox bungs.

This sort of socket, clicky

Plug?!?.....Nope Just stick the long nut inside a 17mm socket. Half(ish) of the nut should still be sticking out of the socket, so you just use this to open the gearbox bungs.

This sort of socket, clicky

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean Dec, but I wasn't being very clear! :oops:

I said 'plug' because the 3/8ths drive 17mm hex key I bought is male (as shown in the KB article pics), whereas most hex sockets are female, no? Didn't think it'd be right to call it a 'socket', as it's more like a plug! :?

Not a big deal - just messing with words :lol: Man, I must be bored :(