Sign in to follow this  
_Monkey

Daily drivers are fantistic things!

Just thought i'd drop a note to say how wonderfull daily drivers are.

For the past year i've had my raddo as a daily driver and have always been stressed out when things go wrong and i have to fix(bodge) things on the spot otherwise i can't go to work!

However, recently it's been behaving itself so i've been able to bring another vw into the family in the shape of a rather shiny mk2 git.

And i wish i'd done it years ago!

Now i find my hands free to rip the corrado apart and i don't have to worry about putting it back together before monday morning!

However, now i have a new problem as i feel the need to pull out the engine and turn it into a 1.9 300bhp monster over winter, but my bank manager has a different idea!

Yeah, it's always put me off doing my own work on the Rado not knowing if I'll have transport to get to work.

I am seriously thinking about picking up a second car - don't like pileing the miles onto my c - and like you guys have said, when you need to work on it, you have to plan that around when you don't need to go anywhere.

i bought my colorado with the intention of selling my old reliable renault 19, but im going to bother now. Its so reliable and its not costing me anything other than diesel till the mot in april. Plus it means i wont put millions of miles on my rado just going to work and back.

I bought my Golf mk4 cabrio to be my Daily driver, but now I couldnt help but modify that, now that is running a G60 I think I mite have to buy another car for a DD. :lol:

I have my diesel golf as my daily driver but I HATE IT!! It's very economic on fuel and reliable and blah blah blah but I REALLY MISS THE 'RADO. The golf is just not fun to drive. :(

mines a ford orion and its lovely,,,its worth abt 20p but 20x more reliable and care free to drive than the G60

I am seriously thinking about picking up a second car - don't like pileing the miles onto my c - and like you guys have said, when you need to work on it, you have to plan that around when you don't need to go anywhere.

I've had 7 years hassle free motoring from a £175 mk2 1.3, a £220 skoda and a £100 prelude - when they break I just buy another one. Insurance is tit all and any idiot can work on them.

If you have the room, it's always worth having a clunker as a back up for the C

EDIT - i think it may have been a primera actually, not a prelude :lol:

Why not buy a DD that's totally different, like Suzuki Jimny soft top, great fun off road and in the snow, limited mileage policy on both to keep costs down 8) and cos I use the Rocco at least once a week too 8)

my corrado is my daily driver as i feel a car should be used, and my Mk1 gti is my track car,, :wink:

mind you i did take the corrado round the nurburgring :D

I've been to the ring too, in my mates modded r32, 8.27 lap!! :!:

Hopefully my raddo will make it next year as i had slight charger exploding problems this one! :evil:

However i've lost it in the bin and now have a shiny new ihi turbo instaed! :wink:

I have my diesel golf as my daily driver but I HATE IT!! It's very economic on fuel and reliable and blah blah blah but I REALLY MISS THE 'RADO. The golf is just not fun to drive. :(

Sell it and buy a git!

they're really fun to drive and IF ( :!: ) i'm nice to it i can see 45 to the gallon!

Not bad for a £250, 150k car, just goes to show vw build the best cars! :wink: :wink:

MKI = much lighter and nimbler than the MKII but rarer and therefore more expensive and difficult to find good ones...

MKII = slightly quicker in 16V form, (unless you get a MKI 16V ;) ) easier to get hold of good ones cheaply, and slightly more creature comforts...

I've had both (2 MKII GTIs and 3 MKI GTIs) and I still prefer the MKI, although as a daily driver, I'd get the MKII and de-badge it to keep some of the local wildlife away from it... ;)

Well my Rado is a genuine Daily driver as most of you know. Not a "pop down the road every now and again" daily driver, but a 40+ miles a day, shopping, visiting relatives, holidays, everything. I don't own any other cars.

I guess I am just a poser and can't drive a cr@ppy daily driver when I know my C would be sitting at home. :)

It winds me up at shows when people say "yeah its a daily driver" when they have a company car or another car they use. I have respect for people who build show cars, but not when they say its a daily driver when it isn't.

As for getting work done before monday, that just means you get it done quickly rather than it sitting there for ages for when you can be bothered! :)

Jay

I run my C as a daily driver,but get a lift to work with a mate so the C sits in my heated garage all nice and warm/clean,just waiting to be driven inbetween shifts.Wife also runs an 04 plate Renault Megane 1.5 td.It does 58 mpg all day long and only costs £85 per year to tax,so the wife saves money on her car so i can spend it on mine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Nice!

Whats the deal with insurance, are you insuring your second cars as a separate policy in its own right? If not who are you with insurance wise as my company want a whole new policy starting with 0 ncd etc. Its the insurance that stops me doing it, especially as I just happen to have a 205td pug sat in the drive.

Exactly. Its narks me especially when you can only drive one sodding car at a time - so why not just sting you for the cost of your more 'pricey' car and then throw in TPF&T insurance for the daily bomber?