Sign in to follow this  
gsbellew

JMR charger rebuild

hmmm...that does indeed sound like very good service., but i have to say, i can't see him doing that for just anyone?..surly you know the guy, or the bolt snapping was as a result of something he had done (( even so it would be still very good service )) ...if not then is he some sort of saint?. :D

Im just giving my opinion in the same way as everyone else, but i bought a car that had had everything done at JMR and I found the workmanship to be appauling. Obviously this isn't the case all the time because there does seem to be good feedback for the place, im just stating what my experience of them is.

It's good that people can find a mechanic they can trust and confide in. They even get to know your own car's idiosyncrasies and personal touches/mods etc. There's nothing worse than leaving your car somewhere and worrying whether they remember/know your car has a mocal (less oil needed) and that there are 3 extra screws holding the parcel shelf up etc etc.

Mistakes happen, lord knows Stealth have made enough of them on my car but if they're dealt with swiftly and efficiently afterwards and are apologetic, then people will continue to use them. There's no excuse for knowingly providing a shoddy service though, which I'm not accusing stealth or JMR of, but I've suffered over the years with iffy jobs.

Kev, you're absolutely right, even the best will make the occassional mistake - its how they are dealt with that matters. I met John at JMR as a result of buying a Rado - much like Woody, the relationship started as a business relationship but over time you build mutual trust and respect in each other.

I now regard John as a good friend, however I still pay full rate for his time (I would not want it any other way) - I'm sure where the friendship part comes into play is when I'm in desperate need of assistance at very short notice etc.

I would not say that John (JMR) is any different from any other supplier who value their business and reputation. I have seen threads relating to other suppliers who have also gone way beyond the call of duty to help people out but quite understandably, when a business is being run no one can afford to treat everyone in the same manner.

I would not regard it as favouratism, more like sound business sense and an appreciation of loyalty

Yep, agreed on the friendship thing too. For me a trip to Stealth is as much a social visit as it is a business transaction. I can wander around the workshop drinking their coffee, chatting and watching them work and even muck in at times. I'm sure the same is true with John. This is why VW will never work on my car because it's just 9-5 to them and I find the service receptionists at a lot of dealers very cold and unwelcoming.

Yep, agreed on the friendship thing too. For me a trip to Stealth is as much a social visit as it is a business transaction. I can wander around the workshop drinking their coffee, chatting and watching them work and even muck in at times. I'm sure the same is true with John. This is why VW will never work on my car because it's just 9-5 to them and I find the service receptionists at a lot of dealers very cold and unwelcoming.

Indeed.. at the end of the day they've got countless owners of new cars queueing up for easy routine servicing and maintainence. Why would they want faff around having to back order parts and dust off workshop manuals to fix a car they've never dealt with. I'm sure they view owners of cars like the Corrado as a pest! I appreciate that is a sweeping generalisation as I know there are a few enthusiasts at some dealerships.. but thats certainly not the norm.

Thats the sad truth of it and one of the reasons why, regardless of what age VW I drive, i'll never take my car to them for work!

Sorry

Should have explained better, The problem was nothing to do with any previous work JMR had done. The problem on my car was one of the VW standard pulleys had snapped off leaving most of the thread in the bracket, which the charger is held onto. it required john to use my dodgy set of toys tools because I did not give him enough info. The car had broken down round my girlfriends house in the open and it pi**ed it down most of the time JMR was there.

Just read through this, dont people not to what the term "figure of speech" means with regards to the blank cheque quote.

just read this and agree John is a top guy and most def the one or two people anyone with a G60 should trust or even a corrado as he is a owner and knows about the pain the rest are just poor copies of him but hey thats my 2p's worth

anyhow has anyone spoken to John lately as ive left a few messages to see how he is and no had a reply, i know he is a very busy guy so dont want to be a pain but can anyone confirm he is his usual self?

He has been out of the country for a few days, but is back now. I guess that he is trying to wade through all the messages that have been left for him during his time away.