Sign in to follow this  
A20 LEE

Lets talk about INTERCOOLERS

Ok,

my new radiator cross member arrives next week so i need to decide which intercooler to use to cool approx 300+ bhp. I'd like to keep the front bumper std, whats the biggest intercooler i can squeeze behind it. There no point fitting a massive cooler i guess theres limited airflow from under the bumper so look for the best comprise of size to airflow behind he bumper. Guess the G60 owners on here will be the experts on this topic.

Also seen (on g-mans) on a G60 a cooler that sits directly in front of the radiator. Does this restrict the airflow adversely to the radiator or does the air pass through the cooler into the radiator? Any heat exchange issues?

Also considering the type of cooler to go for. A factory cooler will look very, well factory once fitted but a custom or aftermarket could be a bit showier, if harder and more expensive to mount to a very high std.

Where's the best place to mount the oil cooler with a front mounted intercooler?

Really interested to here (and see :wink: ) the options.

It depends on the turbo or supercharger that you are going to be using as to how much of an intercooler you will need really.

Either in front of the radiator or using a standard G60 cooler in front of the wheel arch will be probably your only options to keep it looking standard. In front of the rad will be best if not a very tight squeeze with a VR6. Having one infront of the rad won't affect cooling as it works in the same principle of a rad in that the air just passes straight through it!!!

Most factory FMICs are in front of the radiator. I guess they wouldn't do that without testing the consequences. Admittedly the G60 Golf rad is huge too. The restriction to radiator airflow isn't that bad IMO.

More important to get the heat out of the inlet charge. Fitting an oil cooler and deleting the heat exchanger removes a massive load from the water system. So what you lose with the FMIC shielding the rad you get back big time with the oil cooler.

On my G60 Golf the oil temp dropped to 80 on the motorway and the water temps were well down too.

The oil cooler could go where the std IC has been removed. This would involve some longish pipes which will of course increase the oil capacity of the engine.

Gavin

i was considering running twin G60 intercoolers, one in each wing. Sounds good in theory but maybe easier to have one larger FMIC. Think 225TT run twin intercoolers, that setup maybe worth investigating.

Idealy you want to keep the pipe work as short as posible, are you not exploring the option of a charge cooler (air-water-air)

They are way easier to fit into a VR6.

I run a charge cooler built into my inlet manifold with looks very factory.

Idealy you want to keep the pipe work as short as posible, are you not exploring the option of a charge cooler (air-water-air)

They are way easier to fit into a VR6.

I run a charge cooler built into my inlet manifold with looks very factory.

I've looked into chargecooling and understand that it has 4 times the thermal capacity of an aircooled IC but the down side is once it does heat up as it will in a VR it takes a hell of alot to cool it down. to me sounds like its more of an option for a rear engined car in which running an IC isn't really an option.

Hi mate, I dont like the idea of running 2 G60 intercoolers. It is hard fitting a decent front mount itnercooler in the rado without cutting bits, it can be done but depends if thats what you are after which I doubt it is 8) , unlike some of us who have large sections missing in front :lol: .

Not trying to push a sale here but i thought id let you know on another option we are working on. Its aimed at 400hp and higher runing cars depending on the core size.

It consists of the top of the line bar/plate garret core and its a sidemount intercooler.

I think you will be limited even with the G60 golf ic, VR6T owners seem to up the boost once they get a taste :) .

On the air/water subject, i think its a great system, if designed properly and all items in the system are selected correctly it will work very efficiently, although its advantages are more usefull in drag racing.

Here is a sidemount core waiting to be endtanked.

regards

Not trying to push a sale here but i thought id let you know on another option we are working on. Its aimed at 400hp and higher runing cars depending on the core size.

It consists of the top of the line bar/plate garret core and its a sidemount intercooler

regards

thats fine with me, really want to hear your opinion and hear about your's and other companies products. Never owned a FI car and looking for as much info as i can get. If theres a developed off the shelf proved kit that takes my fancy i'll buy it rather than waste time and money putting together a kit that doesn't performance aswell.

Check these guy out http://www.proalloy.co.uk/

If want a really flashy custom job done on a bespoke rad, intercooler, fans and oilcooler setup these are the guys. All made from high quality TIG welded stainless steel, mint! Think its "Rallye" on dubforce who had a complete setup built for him and it looked sweeeet!! Very compact too!

I'd personally go for something like this if you don't want the hassle of trying to fit an intercooler. That chargecooler and water injection is plenty imo.

I'd personally go for something like this if you don't want the hassle of trying to fit an intercooler. That chargecooler and water injection is plenty imo.

Problem is i'm wanting a super clean engine bay so need to hide as much as possible hence the intercooler option, and some custom blueflame piping.

TBH that engine bay would draw big crowds, people love looking at technical work like that and those mods do the job without altering the car's metalwork.

Something you could do is fabricate a cover? Bit like what TDI's have on them to hide all the wires and pipes, but something better and showier?

Is this what you looking for?

VR6T running front mount intercooler.

that is amazing. Maybe even too clean if thats possible.

Kev I disagree, I own both cars and they have the same amount of room up front but I would say the c has the more useable room.

I had to chop the hell out of the cabrio to get the intercooler to fit in that.

I would still say that a charge cooler is by far the best way to go!

That red one looks like a MK3 Golf and they have acres more room to play with.

Scruffythefirst has a custom-made radiator from Pro Alloy and it really is top-notch stuff and not too expensive either.

that looks silly.

your sooo shallow Coxy. Its an amazing feat cleaning up a VR enginebay, never mind a turbo one with the extra piping.

This is the custom set up we have developed for the G60 that is large enough to be effective without the need to hack the car about to get it to fit or excessivly long pipework.

PSD G60 cooler pics