Sign in to follow this  
heyzy

suspension

they are more than likely to be the same springs that are used in previous or current BMW models...........

I really REALLY don't think so for some reason.

whatever brian :roll: as always you know best/better :lol: :lol:

maybe my source doesn't know what he's on about......but i REALLY think he knows better than you or I........i can just picture the scene now the FK R&D boss thinks....."i know Vee Vill make our own coil-over kit,first vee vill use KONI dampers and then vee vill ask BMW(or a division of) to make springs especially for our relatively low volume applications....that they haven't used in their own cars"......somehow brian i don't think so

update:-just had demon tweeks on the phone saying the avo coilovers will take 3 weeks to be delivered,so im now going for the spax which will take 7 days,i know people say the spax are a hard ride(oer)but i had some on my old golf and found them to be :D ok

are you sure about getting the spax kit mate ? the aint as good as some others i could mention for the same sort of money....

spax cant be that bad,the rsx are german tuv certified,all are dyno tested,got triple oil seals,2 year warranty and they kept thrust ssc on the ground at 771 mph :D :D

now with 28 stage adjustment for quick, easy and precise suspension tuning to suit different driving styles :D

What's with the bickering chaps? The heat getting to your heads? Let it get to your right foot instead :lol:

You can actually get your own springs wound and you can also get Koni to valve some dampers to your own specifications, so there is no limit to what you can have. My favourite off the shelf package is H&R springs (much softer than Eibach) and Koni TAs. It is the H&R coilover kit that is reputed to be way too hard, and at £800, I'm not going to find out for myself either!

Kev

What's with the bickering chaps? The heat getting to your heads? Let it get to your right foot instead :lol:

You can actually get your own springs wound and you can also get Koni to valve some dampers to your own specifications, so there is no limit to what you can have. My favourite off the shelf package is H&R springs (much softer than Eibach) and Koni TAs. It is the H&R coilover kit that is reputed to be way too hard, and at £800, I'm not going to find out for myself either!

Kev

well kev,brian seems to have this idea that his FK coilovers are "bespoke" so i'm just pointing out that they are not quite.........

and yes mate i do realise that you can actually get Koni to do you "custom" dampers and have springs wound to your "spec"........but i imagine this would be a bit dearer than the "off-the shelf" prices of the kits

Oh yes, Bespokery is very expensive! A small company called Leda are experts in this field. They are the preferred choice with track day people. They'll make up anything you ask of them. Top blokes.

Kev

Oh yeah Roddy, have you got round to twiddling your knobs yet? You are my personal appraiser of the Koni CO kit! Does your setup feature bump AND rebound adjustment?. Some only have one adjustment.

Cheers

Kev

Oh yes, Bespokery is very expensive! A small company called Leda are experts in this field. They are the preferred choice with track day people. They'll make up anything you ask of them. Top blokes.

Kev

It was actually this suspension i was talking about earlier with the Scooby driver. they were developed with ScoobySport and the guy had to take them off cause they were rock solid! They looked absolutly stunning bits of kit though.

Oh yeah Roddy, have you got round to twiddling your knobs yet? You are my personal appraiser of the Koni CO kit! Does your setup feature bump AND rebound adjustment?. Some only have one adjustment.

Cheers

Kev

oooh yes i've been twiddling my knobs.....well just by 3/4 turn at the front and roughly the same at the rear(pain to do as needed to have some long nose pliers......rather than leaving the shelf supports off) at moment.........but if my drive up to and back from spey-bey last week was anything to go by.......it fairly tightened up the front not so sure about the back tbh...............but well impressed definately the best mod i've done to mine..........go on kev mate you know they make sense :wink: :lol:

somehow brian i don't think so

Sorry Roody, i didn't realise that BMW fitted coilovers to their cars.

no but they do fit springs don't they? :roll: .............what i was saying is that FK use a BMW spring(well so i'm told by somebody well-informed) not a BMW coil-over kit(if they do make such a thing)

no but they do fit springs don't they

Yeah, but a coilover spring is a much slimmer design to a spring on a std. car and have different properties. BMW's aren't renowned for their stiff suspension as i'm aware, my mum's feels fine at least. so they use a different type of spring.

They are possibly re-wound. But if Koni do it and its bespoke, then if FK do it why isn't it?

In the latest Venom Ads they have the FK's priced higher than the Koni's and on their site class them as the best they sell.

I dont care where their springs come from, they do a bloody good job of doing what they do. FACT.

oooh yes i've been twiddling my knobs.....well just by 3/4 turn at the front and roughly the same at the rear(pain to do as needed to have some long nose pliers......rather than leaving the shelf supports off) at moment.........but if my drive up to and back from spey-bey last week was anything to go by.......it fairly tightened up the front not so sure about the back tbh...............but well impressed definately the best mod i've done to mine..........go on kev mate you know they make sense :wink: :lol:

Good man! So you noticed the way the whole car feels much tighter by firming up the dampers?

With the rears, I just leave an adjuster knob (you can get spares) on each damper and put marks on the ribs. That way I can just turn them without taking the shelves off. Vince reckons on 1.5 turns front and 3/4 turns at the rear as the optimal setting.

Too late with COs, Vince has already got the regular springs and dampers in, not to mention the vibratechnics wishbone bushes :lol:

Kev

no but they do fit springs don't they

Yeah, but a coilover spring is a much slimmer design to a spring on a std. car and have different properties. BMW's aren't renowned for their stiff suspension as i'm aware, my mum's feels fine at least. so they use a different type of spring.

They are possibly re-wound. But if Koni do it and its bespoke, then if FK do it why isn't it?

In the latest Venom Ads they have the FK's priced higher than the Koni's and on their site class them as the best they sell.

I dont care where their springs come from, they do a bloody good job of doing what they do. FACT.

brian.......i haven't said/implied the koni kit has "bespoke" springs btw( and yes neither did u.....but its the best word to use).........but you think that cos FK has a different part number for each application that they are "tailored" to each different car......then again if they are dearer they must be better

and yes i do know that the spring is slimmer :roll:

so is your mum's compact is the only BMW you've been in then?i would imagine going by the fact hers has wheeltrims,normal bumpers and not factory alloys its doesn't have the M-tech suspension(316i compacts could be specced with the sport pack which consisited of M-tech suspension,sports seats and alloy wheels.....also by the time your mum's one was on the go the M-tech bodykit was included)..........you should drive a 318ti sport and then drive your mum's back to back then :wink:

i haven't said/implied the koni kit has "bespoke" springs btw

No no, i never meant it like that, i was talking about them rewinding the spring that was mentioned earlier, not their CO's

316i compacts could be specced with the sport pack which consisited of M-tech suspension,sports seats and alloy wheels

Yeah i know, she test drove a black one and didn't like it! Silly woman. give her her dues though, she did reckon that the red one she has was much faster. And she was right!!! Probably to do with the 1.9L engine it has! :lol: She made the right choice :lol:

but you think that cos FK has a different part number for each application that they are "tailored" to each different car

And who are you to say they aren't? I was told that, others say it, but you only choose to argue with me. Why?

Roddy, if someone tells me something that makes sense. i think about it weigh up the options and draw my own conclusions. if some one comes with an argument that makes sense, i think about it weigh up the options and again, draw my own conclusions. If however something is said that doesn't sound right, i have trouble believeing it, so unless say, full proof is given, why should i fully believe it. I've already stated that it could very well be BMW springs but just not lifted straight off their cars like you keep saying. Maybe you got the wrong end of the stick from your little bird?

you should drive a 318ti sport

Im sure, in fact i'd expect it to have stiffened and lowered suspension, but not using coilover springs.

then again if they are dearer they must be better

I Have Never said they are 'Better', but if they are priced as they are, i just don't think that they would skimp with their development. You however keep saying people should 'save up' for the Koni's.

So far, everyone i've talked to are really happy with their FK's, I've heard people complain about the Koni's. That is people's own opinions, why argue with it? I like my CO's, so i reccomend them. If you like yours, why not just reccommend yours and stop arguing with me on every thread about it.

I'll say it again, i dont care who makes the springs, they are very good at what they do.

I've already stated that it could very well be BMW springs but just not lifted straight off their cars like you keep saying. Maybe you got the wrong end of the stick from your little bird?

so tell me then why would BMW make springs if it wasn't for their cars or M/bikes

I don't know Roddy. Mitsubishi make Televisions. Not for their cars though. Rolls Royce made jet engines. Again, i dont think they made it into the production models.....

Could be wrong.

I don't know Roddy. Mitsubishi make Televisions. Not for their cars though. Rolls Royce made jet engines. Again, i dont think they made it into the production models.....

:cheers:

Could be wrong.

do BMW make tv's.......no

Rolls-Royce you'll find are not one big company now but are owned by and in partnership with various companies

and yes...........u are wrong

And if you listen carefully, you can just make out the sound of me smashing my head of a wall continually......

You wish i bet roddy, But lets face it, i'll always be wrong to you... :roll: