Sign in to follow this  
Lippy

The Corrado returns

Taken from

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=12091

VW plans muscular AWD 247bhp coupé for 2008

Classic much-loved 1990s coupeThe Corrado is back.

VW's plans for 2008 include a four-wheel drive coupé based on the Golf platform, powered by a range of four engines -- a broader mix than the previous, and much-loved Corrado from the 1990s.

With the aim of competing with the Alfa Brera, the top of the range model will both look muscular and boast a 247bhp 3.2-litre V6 -- a development of the original VR6 that powered the top-end Corrado. While the rest of the range is likely to be FWD only, this will get AWD, and will get the six-speed, flappy-paddle operated DSG gearbox as an option. The V6 will make 62mph in around 6.3 seconds.

Now called the Rivo, Autocar reports that sources inside VW suggest that the Rivo is to be a pure 2+2 designed to complement the recently unveiled Eos coupé-cabrio. UK prices will start at £22,000.

Other powerplants will consist of the new 1.4-litre twin-charger that was launched recently for use in the Golf GT, and the GTi's turbocharged 2.0-litre FSI mill. Diesel will probably also be an option.

But is the name a bit weedy -- what was wrong with Corrado...?

Concrete information at last? Time will tell...

Rivo.... I do hope they change that name, it sounds ridiculous. A cross between Riva chocolate bars and Tivo TV recording. I agree, what is wrong with Corrado? It's almost as if VW are ashamed of the original and trying to deny it ever existed!

Hopefully the C (or Rivo) will be made in the Wolfsburg factory this time!!

I am glad they're not trying to call it Corrado, actually.

But I agree, "Rivo" sounds ****.

Me too, the Corrado is the original, the new one should be called something else, but not Rivo...

Can they not just derive a name from another language again? Or is Rivo already derived from a foreign language?

Is Rivo another type of wind?

Probably a wet fart like the rest or the Corrado type replacement reports, still 2008.. my leon with be up for replacement by then so who knows :lol:

Can't believe no ones mention the front cover of AutoCar today with the new C on the cover. Looks stunning, double page poster of a nugget yellow G60 being spanked around a track!

Great photo isn't it. Think the suggested pricing is all wrong - all mass market coupes are more expensive than their base vehicles, if the R32 is priced from 23k then any equivalent coupe must surely be priced from circa 25k and not the 22k that Autocar are saying.

Be interesting to see what happens

I think it should remain as Corrado personally as it embodies what the old car was all about. We've got MK1 thru 5 Golfs, MK1 and 2 Sciroccos and the all new Beetle kept it's name, so what's wrong with MK2 Corrado?

People will think back to the original if it keeps the name and the enthusiasts certainly, are more likely to try it and see if it's as good, if not better than the original. If they call it Rivo, people will think WTF is that and try a 350Z or RX8 instead.

vr6storm, you got a bad cough there..i can recomend lemsip :wink: :)

tell me about it :roll: :D ...................hows the eye btw?

vr6storm, you got a bad cough there..i can recomend lemsip :wink: :)

tell me about it :roll: :D ...................hows the eye btw?

getting better everyday thanks :)

If it isn't called a Corrado I won't buy one.

Rivo? In my opinion it sounds like a 'cheap, small, French car!'

Maybe VW have already lost faith in their new design, hence calling it a Rivo. Why would a car based on a classic be named differently? - I can imagine the project manager at VW saying - "We'd just as well call it something new, as it has no direct comparison with the Corrado."

That said, if the design is a success, I'm sure the name Corrado will live on.

Has nobody else thought what I am thinking?

The release of the BMW Mini sent the original (proper) Mini's price soaring through the roof, also the same with the Beetle (although not quite as much!), so surely this will be the kick-start of the Corrados' price climb.

With the release of the new model, our C's will have real classic status. More the reason for someone to buy mine then. :)

I would seriously consider one but the pricing needs to be competitive - if it is too much above the comparable Golf it then starts bordering on 1 year old Boxster prices and I know which one I'd rather have

Close but no cigar, they are Riva's. VW are bringing back Jetta so any new coupe should be called either Sirocco or Corrado