Sign in to follow this  
morpheus20170

K&N Filter but what else...

I've got a 1.8 16v Corrado and have ordered a K&N panel filter but don't know what else to do that will improve the performance, Blue ignitor ignition leads? NGK Spark plugs?

Can someone please tell me where to start, I need more speed but don't yet have the money for the exhaust system from Supersprint or someone else including 4 branch manifold, new head, etc. so I need to start somewhere and need help, PLEASE!!

Cheers,

Paul

If you want to get real power out of your C then I wouldnt recommend starting with a 16V engine. If you are looking for subtle increases then stuff like cold air feed to your induction kit or air box is a start.

Then I would look at getting the head ported and flowed and perhaps bigger injectors and a boost valve.

You can get it chipped

It all depend how far you want to go. Its all well doing certain mods but you need to balance the mods with what its connect to or with so then having to uprate the next part is an on going thing. You need reliability and sensible fule econmy so just think, if you spend all that money you wont get it back when you sell her so keep that in mind and within what you want the car to be like and perform.

I am at the stage just so it gives you an example, I could get the VR supercharged or get a nice turbo but it will cost nearly as much as buying a G60 or another vr. It can get very addictive to moding your car, dont forget, things are know yto go wrong with C's so you need spare cash so your not imobile. I would say, drive your car around a bit longer, yeah, get the exhaust done and make sure its all in perfect working order and learn as much as possible from the forum so the mods you do are good mods from peoples errors and recommendations. i would get the car lowered first so you can throw the car around and enjoy the snug feeling with the road. Tyres and suspension are so important, get your base set first then build on it! Anyone else agree with my short essay?

Very difficult to get decent bhp cheaply.

morpheus20170, Those things you have listed will make your car run more efficiently and smoothly but you may get only a few bhp for your money hardly noticable.

Nitrous would be the best route for price (£500 kit) and pure acceleration from what ive heard but if your going down the cams, flowed head, chip route once added together could get expensive and forced induction even more expensive. Dunno really

You can get it chipped

, chip route

1.8 16v Corrado

Am i missing something? :? ...[/quote:ecc2d]

Sorry wrong engine :oops:

Sorry wrong engine

:lol: no problem mate! :lol: You havin any luck selling yours?

A guy looked at it today and seemed impressed. Mind i had second thoughts as well once i saw it all clean & the interior really is mint.

Thanks for asking your the first one who has asked :cry:

Thanks for asking your the first one who has asked

Thats a damn shamee too, if was after a VR that would be it for me. It was a black Corrado i was after to start off with. :(

Hope you can sell it.

You could PX it for Jims Saxo!

Thanks for asking your the first one who has asked

Thats a damn shamee too, if was after a VR that would be it for me. It was a black Corrado i was after to start off with. :(

Hope you can sell it.

You could PX it for Jims Saxo!

Well my car was advertised on here but there was no interest so i put a note in my window for 1 day and got a reply. If this falls through it'll be the trader. Or i could keep it for a bit :?

i would of thought sticking it in the Trader would be the first thing, but no one seems too willing. I know a guy whom sold his on the second night he had a sign on it!!! Keep trying if you want. But keeping it does sound like a might fine idea if you can! :)

I would put it in the trader but you can get allsorts of wierdoes/criminals ringin up. At least this way i can vet people before disclosing personal details

dubster82 seems like we've hijacked this poor fellas thread :) , sorry morpheus20170

No butts - if you want to sell a car - Auto Trader - Ive sold hundreds of cars in the Auto Trader and most sold within 3 days of advert... well worth the money...

As for chipping the 16V 1.8 - forget it .... the V sams or K star is mainly to advance / retard timing to prevent pinking... something the 1.8 does alot ...

You would be better of spending money on a decent exhaust system and a flowed head (hiflowheads have one for sale for reasonable money)... if you want more power than that then a 2.0 bottom end bored to 2.1 is your best bet - but its alot of money for not alot of power.....

NOS is one option... but expensive to run on the stuff ....

There really isnt alot you can do to the engine to get decent gains as 136bhp for a 1.8 16V is pretty good going considering the design is over 10yrs old!

As for chipping the 16V 1.8 - forget it .... the V sams or K star is mainly to advance / retard timing to prevent pinking... something the 1.8 does alot ...

Kstar KS301 also has an auxillary digifant injector for mapping fuel in to fill in flat spots. You can advance/retard and add fuel/remove fuel (lowering/raising base pressure) at 500rpm intervals.

On one of my Golf 16Vs, I used the above K star, K&N panel filter, 2 x exhaust cams, vernier pulley and a Supersprint exhaust. The result was 154bhp and 141lb/ft torque on 95 Unleaded. Up from 141 and 128 respectively.

Cheers

Kev