Sign in to follow this  
andy

Ride quality thoughts

After peoples thoughts/comments on the Corrado's ride quality.

Basically my car rides nicely on a good surface but is frankly bone shaking over drain covers and railway lines etc. Is it just mine or are they all the same, were they like it from new i.e. is it just a characteristic I have to live with. I had a Golf VR6 before the Corrado and that was the same, they've both been properly alligned etc but really do bang and make me cringe sometimes, I go over the same surface in another car and its hardly noticeable. I tend to forgive the car its harshness because as we all know it does a lot of other things very well but it does p1ss me of a bit tbh. I don't know how some of you guys can run 17s and massive drops, I'm on 15s and Konis/H&Rs, and although the ride has stiffened up since fitting them the low speed town driving is only as unpleasant as it was on the 4x4 original suspension. Is there anything I can do to improve matters, would changing the rear axle bushes and front wishbones help? I see photos of some gorgeous cars on this forum and think, it looks nice, it obviously goes nice, but it would ruin everything if it rode like mine....! Whats the answer chaps?

"Banging" is usually caused by worn suspension components. Replacing the front wishbones may improve the ride but they won't necessarily be the cause of your problem.

Essentialy, if everything at the front end is tight, all suspension / steering bushes, bearings & joints are in good condition, banging won't occur. You just need to find the offending component & replace it.

Last year, I replaced the whole front suspension, joints, wishbones, shockers, bearings, etc. Now the only banging I get is when the front suspension hits the bumpstops !

I suppose its more of a jarring than banging! I think its the rattles that make me say banging! (something else I need to look at) It's just unreasonably harsh over drain covers etc

I'm running 16's on the same Koni/H&R setup and it's quite a bit stiffer than the standard suspension, so does rattle the car quite a bit, but it's not a harsh teeth-falling out thing :?

Sounds like something else is awry - have your bumpstops been cut down to accomodate the 30mm drop you've now got?

Yep bumpstops are trimmed, its Kevs old setup. It does handle very well, I just find it a bit embarrassing to be honest, when I've got a passenger and hit a drain cover it lets the car down. I've had three people comment lately. It feels great on a good road, corners superbly, most impressive then ...crash, it feels like I've just driven of a kerb, not clipped a manhole cover. I know the perception is worse because of the Corrado's rattley interior but I just can't beleive they came out of the factory like it. I don't mind what it costs or how long it takes but I need some improvement.

Andy, I have the same H&R/Koni set up and mine is better than i thought it would be but im still not 100% happy with it. I've also replaced my wishbones with new vag items. The only things left are the track rod ends and arb bushes so im hoping that will cure the vague feeling mine still has and the occassional feeling of crashyness. Ill let you knwo how mine feels

F..ing road in this country aint helping us none either hey! Cameras everywhere and coppers ready to skin you for having slightly odd tyres, wheres the drive on braking saftey on un even roads! (oh sorry, forgot that costs them money rather than handing it too them) still its all about road saftey hey guys!

Nick did changing the wishbones help with the crashiness? Agreed with you on the road quality thing, it's p1ss poor. Mine doesn't suffer with vagueness, just harshness.