Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

G60 Head gasket

Can anyone reccomend a G60 cylinder head gasket set? i am changing my head over soon to a big valve item and will change the head gasket in the process. Should i get a VAG one? any ides on how much for the full set?

Cheers

Get one from GSF, they're the proper metal head gasket set and are supplied by OE manufacturers... These are the ones I always use on G60 engines... 8)

oh, it's also about 1/2 the price from GSF as the stealers want... ;)

don't forget to get new headbolts though... GSF and ECP sell these too for the PG block, but not for the 1H (rallye) block which are dealer only and almost £8 a piece... (you need 10 of 'em...) 8)

EDIT - Just had a quick look on GSF's website... they don't list the headset, but from memory it's about £55... Head bolts are £1 each... 8)

that'll be the bugger, can't remember the make, but I DO think it's Elring that GSF supply... it'll be held on to a red piece of cardboard with clear plastic and have a square hologram on it anyway... 8)

And Henny gets through more head gaskets than anyone I know!!!

Gavin

Bugger off... :p This is only the 2nd head gasket I've blown on this engine... The first was due to a fault with the head, and this time it's down to a faulty head bolt... :roll:

Admittedly, this is the 4th head gasket that'll be fitted to this engine in 2 years though... :oops:

YES. Head bolts are stretch bolts and should only be used once... they're only a quid each from GSF, so it's not worth the potential disasters that re-using bolts can cause for the sake of a tenner is it?

it's a pretty intensive job, but not too taxing.... just make sure you follow some good instructions on which bolts to undo/tighten in which order else you risk warping the head or damaging the new head gasket... Get hold of a Golf MKII haynes manual and follow the instructions in there as it's mechanically the same... only difference are the head bolt torques, which I can't quite remember off the top of my head... :|

I still haven't found anywhere cheaper for the head bolts... just shy of £80 a set gets painful when you've stripped the engine as many times as I have now... :(

I've just been thinking (dangerous I know! :oops: ) and I'm wondering if the Rallye headbolts should be tightened the same as the PG versions or not... Does anyone out there know what the correct head bolt tensioning is for a 1H block... I've been doing mine the same as the PG and I'm wondering if that could be part of the problem I've had this time... :|

from previous experience, how long is the whole process of swapping over my head going to take? would i be able to do it in a weekend? i dont wanna start something i cant finish as i need the car for work... :)

mike_g60, that all depends on why you need to change the head gasket... If it's blowing badly then the odds are that you're gonna need the head at least checking to ensure that it's perfectly flat in all directions (or at least within 0.5mm at any point) otherwise it'll just blow with the new head gasket again.

If you have a local engineering firm close by, then you should be able to get the head off on Friday night, pop it down to them on the saturday morning so they can check it and lightly skim it if needed, and then get it all back together saturday afternoon with sunday left to iron out any problems you may come across...

I'm looking to do my head gasket swap next weekend and reckon I can do it in about 5 hours (from driving into my garage to driving out again) but that's partially 'cos I've a spare head to go back on so I don't need to mess about with getting it skimmed/checked... ;) 8)

i havent got to worry about any of that, i am swapping my head over for a big valve item, witch i have already checked for warpness, so as far as things like that are concerned it should just be a case of swapping everything over, oh and fitting the pepr cam etc etc. :)