Sign in to follow this  
StuartFZR400

Which Car Insurance

Ok; its not that time of year yet for me, but someone in the office put me onto this site Confused.com.

I checked my current insurance against it and got a shock!

This years renewal was, lets say, £400. Then i wanted to change details such as address etc, and Norwich.UD added another £400, making it roughly £800/year = ouch!

Upon trying this site, i got a quote for £360.... wait for it.... with the same company, Norwich U D. :mad: :)

they charged you £400 to change your address?!

+ address

+ business use

+ upto fully comp' , from 3rd PFT

such a ripoff. I questioned it at the time and they told me to like it.

the jump from TPFT to fully comp can be a few hundrew quid, but even so... barstewards! I've always found 'greenlight' to be very good, so long as you car has at least one mod they'll cover you. my vr's costing me just shy of £700 this year, all mods declared, 3 years NCB and one fault accident.

I'll second Elephant, cheap and very easy to change your policy to include mods (all done on the website)

I always have a look on the autotrader website as well because that gets quotes from all the larger insurance companies in one go, the difference is amazing between them (quotes ranging from £500-£1500 for the exact same policy)

Elephant are part of Admiral so try Admiral too. All Admiral group companies target younger drivers. Try Bell Direct too as they're part of Admiral. Confused.com is great but doesn't cover any of the RBS insurers (DL, Priv and Churchill) so you'll have to go to those sites independently. ALso try moneysupermarket.com as they're another aggregator like Confused.

Good tip Neil

Any new drivers out there, just be aware that this is just a heads up this month. Different car insurers will give a different price every day, but there is a trend for the cheapest that year or month. For example Tesco were good a year back. Everyone is different and so its worth phoning around and checking the web; just cos you saved £100 last year doesnt mean you're with the cheapest. Keep looking; and spend more on the Corrado

Ive used elephant for the last 3-4 yrs, then this year i changed to admiral, who were cheaper, but theyre the same company!! Its easy on their sites too. Also for note, when it asks for your renewal, put a low figure, it tends to decrease the premium, as does adding a woman to it (it did for me anyway).

Underwriting rules generally will not change drastically overnight as insurers will always want to retain a stable loss ratio and not alienate entire demographics of people overnight. Mass market insurers will have a very broad target market so large changes in premuim are mostly due to individual changes in circumstances. But yes, Tesco used to be focused on young drivers and then realigned themselves. They wouldn't insure me on a group 7 Saxo VTR! Presumably they aligned their brand according to their store shoppers profile, ie not young high risk drivers. Norwich union are discounting heavily at the moment for their new business so if you fit the NU profile you'll be laughing. Come renewal time, however, you'll be wanting to shop around unless they have a cunning retention strategy up their sleeve. Generally insurance is very cheap at the moment but it can't last for much longer as new aggressive entrants won't be able to sustain the current low premiums. They're just "book building" at the moment.

Just be careful using sites like Confused.com. Sometimes the quotes you get come through with, say, a £1000 excess, which may not be immediately apparant yet go a long way towards getting the price down!

Otherwise, I'd always try an internet quote rather than go with the renewal figure you are initially quoted. At the end of the day, it IS a lot cheaper for the insurer to process your cover in this fashion.

I tried a lot of companies when renewing my insurance this year - Direct Line was cheapest, Elephant/Admiral came 2nd. Try Direct Line.

I am just renewing mine now on the Storm. I have been with Adrian Flux for a few year now. As with all insurance companies the price goes up every year. It is essential to get other prices. My renewal came through as about £400 but a quick check on confused&elephant gave me a best price of £317 fully comp, Adrian Flux promptly produced a £315 offer which, I think is excellent for a Storm.

I have heard many good things about Adrian Flux's handling of claims if things go bad. I hope never to find out. On the other hand I heard very bad things about direct line so I avoid now.

I'd second Direct Line. Was with elephant before which are also good, but direct line came out slightly cheaper this time. I pay £420 fully comp, with protected no claims which is pretty cheap considering the mods I've got.

I was with Chris Knott (using Highway Ins) and they quoted me £1000 for renewal. :shock:

I rang Adrian Flux and they quoted me £500 using the same company (highway)!!

I rang Chris knott to tell them to stick their quote where the sun don't shine :p and suprise suprise they matched the quote.

£500 is a BIG difference, wtf were they charging me an extra £500 for?? :mad:

Storm77, that quote was for Standard spec. I have just got hold of a set of 17"RCs (only done 2000miles) so had a quote for having them on. It took it up to £340 and another £7 would set my up for a max of 50mm drop (thinking about H&R Coilovers) that was with Admiral, however Adrian Flux will pretty much match it.

Bugger.

Just phoned up direct line to let them know I would be 'lowering' my car in 2 weeks and they told me I couldn't because i'm not over 25. Infact they won't accept any mods for under 25's! So beware everyone. My insurance is invalid if I do it without telling them. Norwich union are apparently the same.

Now i'm getting new quotes and elephant is looking like the cheapest, but it's £150 more than my direct line policy...

I nearly fell over when adrian flux gave me a quote.

£438 for a corrado Vr6 TPFT 6k miles, me with 2yr ncb and age 24.

a clear £200 cheaper than anyone else, not sdure how they worked it out!

Admiral were the best for me, Fully comp without any no claims bonus (use my full no claims on another vehicle) and in Hackney East London (a bad area for cheap car insurance) all for £600. I added a named female driver to the policy which brought it down £70!