Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

coilovers, are these any good? (link)

£600-700 sounds like a price for FK Königsports, not Highsports

The FK Range, in order of increasing price

http://www.fk-automotive.com/en/

AK - 'budget' coilovers

Highsport - height adjustable + fixed damping

Königsport - height adjustable + adjustable damping (Koni shocks)

Silverline - Stainless steel, height adjustable + fixed damping

Silverline X - Stainless steel, height adjustable + adjustable damping (Koni shocks)

Be aware that even with a galvanised finish, you'll likely find height adjustment difficult after a year or so of use with any of the non-stainless kits due to corrosion.

http://www.edition38.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=21091 :wink:

I dunno who's supplying the stuff for this group buy - last time mine came from 'Vauxtek'/'Vauxtech' or something.

And the prices seem a little bit higher than previous GB's - £574.58 for Konigsports :?

Was £500 for Konigs, £560 for Silverline-X back in March IIRC. (including VAT + delivery!)

If you're interested, I think the guy in this thread says this GB finishes on the 16th of Nov.

Sorry to sound like a numpty on this- Are Coilovers really that much better than a 'normal' set-up? I have a nice drop with a Bilstein sprintline kit- It looks great but the ride is just like soooo firm. Like there is no perceptible 'bounce' in the set-up at all.

Is there something in the different design of coilovers that gives better damping for the same drop? or would £500 of coilovers give you the same quality of ride as a £500 normal set-up.

TBH I have just never really 'got' what coilovers are all about :|

The Konig's give a good ride and are fully adjustable. I've got the Highsports and they are very good value for money but sometimes I wish they were a bit better damped on slow speed rebound. Overall though I'm chuffed with them (and they were less than £400 from Venom). Have a search on the forum, as you can imagine this one has come up loads. If I did it again I'd wait a bit longer and get the Konigs. :)

HI, I had them on my old c, they were awsome. They cost me £360 from venom motorsport loved them just a bit harsh on realy bumpy back roads at speed. But was worth it. :multi: I also had powerflex bushes though i would recomend changing them at the same time.

The actual springs play a big part in the quality of ride. I’ve had bilstein springs in the past and they were an improvement over standard VW springs.

Having switched to H&R coilovers and springs there is a huge difference, H&R are prob the best springs going and the quality of ride with the drop prob the best you can get but at a price as with anything of quality.

Just had some of these fitted on tuesday, it's a good set-up but I was wondering if the damping is going to get any softer after a few weeks use? They're great round the bends but the ride is very bumpy over bad roads and I'm not sure I want to be bounced around on my way to work every day :|

(not sure if it makes any difference but they're still on the highest possible setting)