Sign in to follow this  
Takoon

smooth idling VR6

How smooth(?) is idle meant to be on the VR6?

My idle sort of burbles and sometimes it sounds like its missing a beat, is this normal

Has been like this for three years now, nothing shows up on vagcom

cheers

How smooth(?) is idle meant to be on the VR6?

My idle sort of burbles and sometimes it sounds like its missing a beat, is this normal

Has been like this for three years now, nothing shows up on vagcom

cheers

the VR6 isn't the smoothest of idlers..........and does have a little burble at idle too........and i sometimes get what appears to be it missing a beat.........but it doesn't appear to be something to worry about

My idle sort of burbles and sometimes it sounds like its missing a beat, is this normal... nothing shows up on vagcom

Mine did that until one day I saw a 2.8 Golf idling next to mine and it was rock steady. We then checked the compression and found that no6 had a small ring problem and no 1 had a valve leaking. Once sorted she really went silent....Checking around it seems as tho those two cylinders are the most prone to probs, and compression problems do not really show up on the vagcom, especially the valve problem.

Get the a compression check by someone who really knows what they are doing. Mine purrs now and simply doesnt complain at all.

My idle sort of burbles and sometimes it sounds like its missing a beat, is this normal... nothing shows up on vagcom

Mine did that until one day I saw a 2.8 Golf idling next to mine and it was rock steady. We then checked the compression and found that no6 had a small ring problem and no 1 had a valve leaking. Once sorted she really went silent....Checking around it seems as tho those two cylinders are the most prone to probs, and compression problems do not really show up on the vagcom, especially the valve problem.

Get the a compression check by someone who really knows what they are doing. Mine purrs now and simply doesnt complain at all.

i think also the 2.8 Vr6 is meant to be the smoother idling engine.........don't know why but have heard that it is

Myne to has a poor idle ,ive tried all switches ,sensors,leeds,coil pack,tps,airflow..ect,ect

Had set of rings in and the head re-worked...

Still has poor idle :(

Never mind then,must be the way they are :?

AmD told me that the 2.9 V6 rarely idles perfectly, and as long as the rev counter isn't twitching it's perfectly OK :D

I can feel mine 'skipping a beat' occasionally through my seat, but the needle is completely still at around 650 rpm, so it's fine! :D

the VR6 isn't the smoothest of idlers..........and does have a little burble at idle too........and i sometimes get what appears to be it missing a beat.........but it doesn't appear to be something to worry about

My Corrado idled exactly as VR6Storm described for the whole 3 years I owned the car. Didn't seem to be any problems with it.

My Corrado idled exactly as VR6Storm described for the whole 3 years I owned the car. Didn't seem to be any problems with it.

Ill do an update on this in a few days, the cars in Bedrock VW just now for a service and John reckons it isnt normal, when he checked the leads he found lead no.2 was knackered. (Im not sure if its a new problem though as I think it had been getting gradually worse after I got the car.)

If it idels lumpy Ok, as long as it performs the rest of the time.

Is there a car with a perfect beat through out the range???

I dont know?, is this a VR related problem

??

I let this bother me a while back when I compared it to the Golf which is pretty perfect. I had a new lambda probe, cleaned the ISV changed the plugs, did the ECU reset and it's no different. From what I have found it is perfectly normal for the Corrado VR6 to behave like this. Learn to love it - I have accepted it as a great characteristic of a beast of an engine! :D

some definitely idle smoother than others but generally there is a light flutter. One other thing to check out is the engine mounts, if they are badly worn there will be vibration caused by engine rocking - lift the bonnet and watch it idle when warm, if there is visible rocking you may need to change em.

One thing often overlooked is the Mass air flow meter. If nothing shows up on VAG-COM and the inlet system is leak free, then it's pretty much assured the MAFS is operating out of range.

Kev

Just to add my 2p - my VR6 has idled as described above for all of the time I've had it (well over a year) and no-one I've spoken to seems to be worried about it. As long as the rev counter needle is steady I really don't think you have anything major to worry about.

As someone pointed out, the 2.8 VR6 engine in the golf is in quite a lot lower tune, and is likely to idle more smoothly as a result than the 2.9 in the Corrado. Learn to love it...

HI

Would like to say thanks guys.

Only had my VR6 2.9 for 2 weeks now and i'm in the same boat, you help put my mind at ease. :)

Missing a beat. Sits steady around 650 rmp. But no problems. :D

The beast just wants to go! not sit idlein.... :twisted:

Love it! 8)

I reckon a lot of 2.9 engines have a slight mechanical imbalance. I've replaced just about everything electronic related (inc the fuel pump) on my VR6 and it still idles like sh#t. It also has a curious flatspot all the way from idle to 2000 rpm. I reckon I'll have to resort to rechip to sort that out and then hopefully the idle will improve too.

Kev