Sign in to follow this  
ChrisL

Roof Strips

Does anybody know where I can get 2 new plastic strips for the roof of my Corrado, they're the ones at the either side where a roof rack would fit (No I don't want to fit a roof rack!!) The rubber inserts have perished a little bit.

GPC & VAG spares can get these last time i phoned them. VAG also listed them as available but at over £50 each!! GPC etc are more like £30 per side.

That was about 2 months ago, so they may have since been discontinued??

I got my new strip from gpc at inters last year its £50 strip plus the end cap all in all the cost me just shy of £120 and he only had two sets. Bloody expensive.

I got my new strip from gpc at inters last year its £50 strip plus the end cap all in all the cost me just shy of £120 and he only had two sets. Bloody expensive.

check their site im sure i paid less than that.

The GPC is really out of date (last time I was there, they told me it hadn't been updated for over a year!). Best to call them really.

FWIW, I bought the complete set of strips & end caps for both sides for knocking on £90 delivered from GPC only 6 months ago. The new strips are slightly different to the original in that the rubber has been replaced by some kind of synthetic material which looks a bit thicker & more durable.

Just ordered a pair of roof strips from GPC (Surprised they still have any) Price was £33 each plus vat, and £10 delivery.

They mentioned that they will be selling them at GTI International, same price but without the VAT & delivery, bargain!

They must be getting thin on the ground now.

may well be worth buying a set now if they are going to be discontinued soon (which I imagine they are)

ive just taken a blade to mine for now.. but defo worth investing..

or maybe just get them deleted.. but apparently very hard job.. too much heat and ur roof looks like jelly

not a good look

Yeah they look better with the cracked rubber removed, but the plastics on mine have faded to grey aswell.

Have heard that the roof sills can be lead filled instead of the usual welding, I think thats how the pro's do it.

I looked into it a couple of years ago, lead filled seemed to be the best option as the roof skin is very thin, and easily warped if welded. some folk have welded it, but the welders I spoke to were very reluctant, just incase.

tricky to find someone who would do the lead filling though, and not cheap. Plus it does look funny with nothing there (imo).

I just opted for trimming the rubber with a scapel, as a short term solution. I thought it would look hideous, but after seeing Jay's (Renshaw) effort in the flesh I went for it (and him threatening to do it on mine there and then), and I really don't notice now (although saying that, I probably will now :lol: ).

You can get stuff to treat the plastic, if it's faded to grey. So combined with the rubber trimming that may give you a cheaper option than a whole new strip, and make the appearance much more pleasing on the eye?

Just put some Audi A4 roof strips in, they're flush and colour codable. They appear to have a roof channel the same size as the C's (under the strip that is).

As for the "new" synthetic edging lasting longer and being more durable.... not true I'm afraid. Mine are 2 years old and peeling up and wrinking on the edges already. They're just another VW after thought when cobbling the Corrado together as cheaply and quickly as possible.....

Just put some Audi A4 roof strips in, they're flush and colour codable. They appear to have a roof channel the same size as the C's (under the strip that is).

Do these just pop out of the a4 and straight into the c?

pretty much what I thought.Going to the srappys armed with tools and stuff on monday.........

Yeah - would be keen to know! My old roof strips are well and truely shot!

As for the "new" synthetic edging lasting longer and being more durable.... not true I'm afraid. Mine are 2 years old and peeling up and wrinking on the edges already. They're just another VW after thought when cobbling the Corrado together as cheaply and quickly as possible.....

Only 2 years... that is bad... my originals were perfect last year, must of been the winter and the dry weather we've had, the rubber strip is peeling off in chunks now!

Received my roof strips today, the rubber bit does look exactly the same as the old ones, before they perished that is!

bttt -- anyone else know if this is true before I go to combellacks tommorow to destroy some a4's 8)