Sign in to follow this  
oilman

Oil - Cold weather selection

In this cold weather, it is beneficial to use an oil that has good cold start flow properties as it will get to the parts of the engine that need it far more quickly.

The "w" number which means winter is the key here and the lower the better.

It may seem odd but a 15w or 20w will struggle to get around the engine in very cold temps and I would strongly recommend a 10w or better still a 5w for better cold start performance.

90% of all engine wear occurs on cold start because the oil get thicker the colder it is which causes engine wear.

These numbers explain what I mean and bear in mind that the oil will be the following thickness at 100degC (sae 40 = 14cst, sae 50 = 18cst and sae 60 = 24cst)

At 0degC these are the numbers (thick!)

Grade.................At 0C.........At 10C...........At 100C

0W/20.............328.6cSt......180.8cSt..........9cSt

5W/40.............811.4cSt......421.4cSt..........14cSt

10W/50............1039cSt.......538.9cSt..........18cSt

15W/50.............1376cSt.......674.7cSt.........18cSt

20W/50.............2305cSt.......1015cSt..........18cSt

If you are using anything more than a 10w oil, always warm the car properly before driving it as the oil needs time to circulate.

Just a word of warning really.

Cheers

Simon

Not trying to cause an argument here but why've you moved it to Suppliers? Seems to me that all he's doing is giving some advice about oil, I for one didn't know it was better to have a low W number for winter use.

Because he's here to sell oil. Thus making him a supplier. Hence the movage to the Suppliers forum :)

I can understand all the offers and stuff going in there, but this is just some tech info.

Cheers

Simon.

Yeah I know he sells oil on the forum but he's not advertising it in this particular thread, although I'm sure he'd like everyone who has a heavier oil to buy some from him :fadein: but there's no "and it just so happens we have a special price on 10w40"....

Hmmm.

The idea of putting it in here is I'm not selling anything, just thought it was interesting enough to warrant a proper viewing.

0w-60 is impossible to make as the gap is too big, it could never be made stable enough to hold its viscosity for a period of time.

Cheers

Simon

I've discussed the reasons with him (Simon) and basically, whilst he's here to sell oil and has links in his sig, oil-related threads are best in the Suppliers forum.

On most forums, people here for commercial reasons are asked to contact the Admin before starting threads (of a commercial nature). Remember the PS2 mod chips guy? Thread was deleted and he was asked not to return. But as Simon's a nice guy with useful advice, I'm sure there's no problem with his threads, but I think they're better in here.

I've mentioned it to Andi and if he thinks differently I'm sure he'll be along shortly :)

Tend to agree with Tom here - yes, wonderful advice - but why do you think he's giving it?

;)

I'm sorry but I personally think there's too much cynicism about Simon's motives in this thread. I know I've joked in a past thread about it but on this occasion it is just general (and useful) info. Give the man credit for taking the time and effort to supply this info.

The people that want to buy oil will, the people that don't will learn something.

It's not cynicism Kev mate, it's more a question of consistency :)

If someone comes on and starts a thread about cleaning products and how to best clean your lovely BBS wheels ;) and happens to have contact details at the bottom of the post, then they're generally here to stir up some business....which is no problem but it would be moved here.

Like I said, Simon's a really nice bloke and I'm sure the information he's posting is very useful.

It's fine by me, the reasons have been explained. I've been a moderator myself and it's a thankless, difficult and unpaid job!

I will post any future oil offers (as usual) in the correct place and guess what?

There's one coming up soon!

Cheers

Simon

I have no problem with oilman's dual role as expert passing on technical information/salesman. I welcome any technical contribution on this type of forum - keep them coming.

At the end of the day we all decide what we believe and what we buy and we never stop learning 'til the day we snuff it.

Believe it or not, I learn something every day as well but it need translation to English to pass it on :(

Cheers

Simon

That's interesting, cos I could have swarn that i've read loads of threads on here about which oil to use, and they all say that 0W and 5W are too thin for VR6 engines :?: