Sign in to follow this  
Chris VR6nos

Tuning the VR6

Tuning the VR6!

This could be the definitive thread for getting the best from the VR6 engine after some deliberation :!:

If you know something special or more over, somewhere special where sell the juicy parts at reasonable prices then that's all the better but post your brain waves here.

Cooling

I think this kit looks excellent and for the price it would be a shame to let your engine get hot under the collar!

£147

oelkuehler.jpg

Crankshaft

Since the cylinder sides are not expandable to every optional size, it is essential to install a appropriate crankshaft for further cubic capacity.

£POA

baut_kurbelwelle.jpg

Conrods

Special stock conrod, high-strength, super strong for extreme power increased highly tuned and revving engines.

Of course items made to specification are possible.

£1,914

baut_pleuel.jpg

Some of this stuff looks well prices, other things don't but there are plenty or companies around so the thread should yeild something good!

Chirs

might be usful to make it clear you're not selling this stuff chris, that was the impression I got when i started reading! I thought... another one of chris's schemes! :lol:

ok well in the scheme of things i think EIP are hard to beat and have some tempting swag and after speaking to them on the phone, they are more than happy to talk and know what they are actually talking about!

Pistons

3.1L NORMALLY ASPIRATED Piston Set (83mm)

For use with 95.6mm crank!

24v_turbo_01_300.jpg

£462

Rods

3.1L 12V VW VR6 4340 Chromemoly Rods x6

28l_vr6_4340_01_300.jpg

£692

Head Gasket

Each EIP 12V VR6 3 Layer metal head-gasket is manufactured from multiple layers of steel to make certain that the appropriate head to block seal is created, even under the challenging conditions of forced induction applications. We reduce compression a little more than 1 full point so it is just below 9:1. This is ideal because it still offers good efficiency and throttle response with the ability to safely run beyond 17psi boost on a stock enginewith the right turbo system. You can run beyond 35psi with this gasket with a built bottom end.

VR6_12V_multi_300.jpg

£115

Camshafts

Schrick Strip / Race Camshaft Set:

For upper-end performance.

> 276° Intake & 276° Exhaust Camshafts

• 11.5mm Lift (Intake / Exhaust)

• Overlap Intake: 112°

• Overlap Exhaust: 112°

These should make a huge difference with an over bore and long throw crank and with 11.5mm live, gives the charger lots of valve opening to fill the cylinders with that valuable air.

The duration is somewhat less than someof the other street cams at 112° of overlap where the street cams are generally 115° overlap.

12v_vr6_cams_02_300.jpg

£508

Fuelling

Extruded aluminum fuel rail for getting unrestricted fuel flow to the injectors!

fuel_rail_stock.jpg

£7per foot

Head Bolts

HIGH TENSILE STRENGTH HEAD BOLT SET

vr6_12v_HSK_02_300.jpg

£104

That'll keep you going for now

Anyone forun cheaper or better?

I know that on some of these items carriage or/and duty may need to be paid

Chris

That head gasket looks seriously good, and I'm not a fan of spacers!!

Think I've just figured out my April dyno day cheat..... cheers chris :-)

THat's the one we used on H8RRA's engine and it's had plenty of thrashing and it's remained perfectly sealed.

When you say cheat, what do you mean? to drop the C/R a touch or just seal well in std thickness?

Tug, here's a tip, right click on any of the pics and click on 'properties and that will show you the origional site's URL whuch you can highlight and copy then paste it into the address bar at the top and hey presto, you are on the site, just don't paste all of the url in there or all you'll get is the picture! :lol:

chris

This thread was mainly intended for raising the inspiration of H8RRA to get his finger out and sort a good engine thus far it's oriented toward the FI VR6 though most of the other parts are just as happy in aN/A VR6 too.

Manley Steel Rods

Pro Series I-Beam - Lightweight Design

VW

Forged from 4340 aircraft quality vacuum degassed material

Manufactured in our own CNC machining centers

Fully machined to produce the lightest and strongest rod possible

Shot peened after machining and 100% magnafluxed

Cap Fasteners are 3/8" ARP 2000 cap screws

Kit comprises of 6x dressed rods

manleyrods-steel.jpg

£536

Chris

That head gasket looks seriously good, and I'm not a fan of spacers!!

Think I've just figured out my April dyno day cheat..... cheers chris :-)

HA!!!!! Way ahead of you - already got one and its fitted :) :)

« Chris VR6nos » wrote:This thread was mainly intended for raising the inspiration of H8RRA to get his finger out and sort a good engine

...and i s'pose a £4.5k ABT Billet Steel long throw crank, purpose milled piston crowns, Stainless Steel Spacer head gasket, ARP Head Bolts, and stage 2 charger kit with lightened flywheel, 6-speed and lsd is a **** setup/engine??????????????????????????

Cheeky Git......

Wheres some info from the guys on the other side of the pond???

So Cal etc.... you guys must have some good info and links for juicy vr bits....

Wheres some info from the guys on the other side of the pond???

So Cal etc.... you guys must have some good info and links for juicy vr bits....

Not by the looks of it they don't!

I was on the VWVortex site earlier and there are threads stating that thier VF kits are running 359bhp on 92 octane pump gas! :roll:

Same old same old............

Well Paul TBH i am kinda saying the engine is set up craply even though i did it myself!

The pistons are ready for the bin as they are just wrong and that is that!

The head gasket was a bodge to get round the wrongly machined pistons vince had done at some point for that guy whom paid him a fortune to build it,

and the map has no correspondance to the engine it's ment to run!

So in short yeah it's crap that's why i spent ages gathering info for you!

Get it bought and get it built and then i can post different words and watch people eat hats!

Chris

come off it, chris - you're letting your lack of heating and your state of mind reflect in your posts - thanks for the assistance in putting it together but your post is utter cr4p - totally off topic as well

That engine calc thingy is cool Chris!

I rather fancy a 100mm crank throw with 83mm pistons and that then gives me a nice round 3.25 litre 8) The long throw should be nice for torque too.

On the American octane thing, they go by MON, so 92 is high. Our 97 RON, is actually only 90 MON, which is nothing special at all.

I think this is a great thread!! if you have a vr and know nothing about tuning potential then it practically gets you going with lots of ideas/pics.

I'm not sure if there's an answer for that as no one that I'm aware of has fully explored all of the max capacity and head flow/cam options yet....

I've heard of American 250+ N/A VRs that also pull some crazy quick 1/4 times...not sure of the specs tho.

Cheers Kev, thought we needed a CC calc on the forum to equate these threads and prove supposition.

DaveVR6,

There are some 1000BHP VR6's and a number of 680-750bhp ones around too.

Check out EIP and Schimmel Performance.

H8RRA's crank is 94.6mm and the largest you can go in the VR6 is generally accepted as 85mm which will bring a VR to 3.22L but offset grind the crank and you will get a 97mm crank throw and exactly 3.3L using my cc calc! :wink:

You can rebore it much larger and fit liners into the block for serious reboring and CC, 3.5-3.6L is achievable!

Chris

Out of interest, whats the most you could get/has been got from a N/A VR6 engine??

The most I've seen with my own eyes is around 190ish wheel horse power from a 3 liter. I've have yet to see one break 200 whp.

The power comes from the cylinder head...and our 12v heads are not that efficient.