Sign in to follow this  
Dixxy

Oil Cooler for a VR6

Does anyone know how expensive / difficult it is to fit an oil cooler to a VR6. I've always thought mine runs a bit hot... up to about 118 degrees on a pounding.

Which ones are the best to go for and where from??? :lol:

Use the search mate, its been discussed , I think the Mocal is the one to go for, not that I have experience. :D

Ta... ill give it a search... if anyone has the lastest and greatest news on oil coolers let me know

Contact Stealth... they do a kit (around £125 IIRC) which includes all the correct bits you'll need for the VR6 (unlike some other suppliers :roll: )... 8)

It's DEFINATELY worth fitting an external oil cooler to ANY performance VW IMHO... 8)

Stealth's cooler is way more then that Henny, I can't remember of the top of my head, but you're talking twice that.

They have to get a part specially machined for it.

Stealth's cooler is way more then that Henny, I can't remember of the top of my head, but you're talking twice that.

They have to get a part specially machined for it.

i'd heard £250, not sure if thats the fitted price though

Yeah the VR one is expensive because the sandwich plate has to be custom made, it's not an off the shelf part from Think Auto unfortunately.

There's also an American brand (can't remember it tho) that does the lot all in for a less than $200 IIRC. Looks very similar to the think auto stuff but I don't know of the quality.

Defo worth it, mine was sitting at 114 degrees at 80 prior to the Mocal and this time of year it sits at 82 at the same speed. Probably a bit too cool really but better than the alternative.

I'd also clean up the sender on the oil filter housing (left hand one) as the scale and scum build ups can falsify the readings. Mine dropped 10 degrees by remaking the electrical connection!

http://www.gprtuning.com/component/page ... /Itemid,2/

These lots prices are good thinking about buying one of these myself, not sure of the quality but I'm sure someone off the forum has used one with no problems, can't for the life of me remember who though :scratch: Just know I found this lot through the forum and wouldn't have saved in my favourites if they were being slated!

Was gonna be emailing them soon and enquiring about overseas shipping, guarantee etc. Let me know if your interested I could possibly order a couple and save on overseas shipping and possibly get a bit of discount for buying two, I'm not trying to make money here, any savings made will be split 50\50 :D

just a quickie anout these oil coolers. Is seems these are the thing to have with a VR, but people also talk about a mayonaise on the oil filler cap which is caused by condensation, and can be removed by getting the oil up above 100 deg. Now would this be imposible to do with an oil cooler on?

not that it is going to put me of getting one, as Kev says better a bit to cool than a running temp of 116 at 80ish. but Im just curious.

Normally me engine sit's at 94. If I'm going out for a bit of fun it hits 104.

On the motorway it was hitting 98-100.

Why am I getting rid of this engine?