Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

Thanks James, do you have any delay between the actual engine speed and the rev counter? Mine is slightly slow on the rev counter but your vid makes it look like its spot on. what did you use?

Yeah its pretty much spot on mate! It's the CAN M8 one, I can give you all the details?

Does anyone have a a pair of mk5 manifolds I could buy (or ideally borrow)?

I do mate, £20 plus postage sound ok?

I do mate, £20 plus postage sound ok?

That sounds great. I'll PM you my address, thanks very much.

Ok so please find 3 pictures, battery, fitting and engine bay.

The battery was fitted by drilling down and bolting through the plate bent 90 degrees. Where wiring is concerned, it was fed through the interior and to the engine bay. Same as a normal set up just longer leads.

Not the best how to I know but I hope it helped some what.

How did you go about extending the wire to reach the boot?

Just so you know guys, the Corrado sailed through it's MOT yesterday. I sorted the insurance and tax out and had a few drives in it yesterday. What an engine is all I can say!

1st gear is just spin happy, but second onwards doesn't have any immediate grip problems, could it be the wide 17" toyos? It just goes like a scalded rat and that's before I have done the SAI dummy and EVAP plumbing. What an absolute machine though, the pedal has no discernable lag and it makes some awesome noises!

---------- Post added at 9:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:03 AM ----------

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69037[/ATTACH]

:D

Glad you are enjoying it James. What was up with the MOT?

Post up the can m8 details, I may look to swap for it. Did you wire it up to the can wires or the ecu?

There was nothing wrong with the MOT Sam, it got through it fine!

Don't know if you knew but these will go through the MOT with no cat? I was worried that not having a cat would mean I'd have to make special arrangements to get it through.

I went through the MOT manual and spoke with the tester, it says that if there is not an EXACT (so engine code to vehicle) match to the vehicle in the emissions database, that it should be tested as a non cat. Happy days!

That meant it had to meet 3.5% CO and 1200ppm HC, it did 0.8% and 172ppm, pretty good I'd say!

Ill get you those details mate, it used the can wires which Mark had included in the loom for me anyway. Just needed the two wires, the feed to the clocks, and then for me to make up a permanent 12v and ground.

What an engine is all I can say!

Couldn't agree more :D

After getting mine running last week, I took a leap of faith and drove it down to Cornwall the next morning! It's done about 1000 miles and hasn't missed a beat.

The engine is superb, but the ME7 management is just incredible. I can hardly believe this myself being as I am so particular, but I drove all the way to Cornwall (360 miles) with the MAF unplugged!! It had a small flat spot, which I just put down to it not adapting (SAI and Evap solenoids not plugged in yet), but the way it just works around these things and is still fast as hell is amazing! And not only that, it looks like my exhaust cam sensor is dead (no cam angle displayed in measuring block 90), so I'm getting a Cam / Crank sensor correlation error and the intake is fixed to 27 degrees advance.

I wasn't sure if my new chains were done properly as I'd never done them on a 24V before, but measuring block 91 showed 4 degrees intake cam static angle, which is perfect. The specified range is between -8 and + 8 degs, so I'm chuffed about that :D This is the measuring block you use to check for chain stretching, but as most of us have MK5 engines (revised chains) it shouldn't be a problem for us, but it's worth checking.

So I just need to order a cam sensor, plug in the solenoids and it should be perfect.

Even when not running 100%, the torque is mad. Smaller roundabouts can be taken in 4th and larger ones in 5th. Corners I used to take in 2nd can be done in 3rd now and 4th if not in a hurry. And 4000rpm onwards, I dunno if it's just my exhaust setup but it has a VTEC feel to it :D

That's awesome news Kev!

Have you got a fully working vag vom then mate? I could do with getting mine checked! I just have the vcds lite which is hiding errors (yes I have many!) are you about this weekend/week? We need to meet up anyway to compare!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, that should be measuring blocks 208 and 209 for the static cam angles. 90 and 91 are the lambda blocks (actual and specified).

Yes mate, I have a genuine Ross-tech HEX-USB+CAN lead which can scan any VAG car with the full version of VCDS :D

Yeah I'm about at the weekend!

Ok great, any chance you could meet on sat? I can take you flying as well if you want. You ok to come here? I'll pm you my number.

Check this artistic shot!

Gret news, i'm glad your both up and running!!!

James, am I right thinking you have the mk5 engine loom and ecu but mk4 loom into the car? Also did you get my pm about the manifolds?

That's awesome news Kev!

Have you got a fully working vag vom then mate? I could do with getting mine checked! I just have the vcds lite which is hiding errors (yes I have many!) are you about this weekend/week? We need to meet up anyway to compare!

i also have vcds lite but it still brings up the error code so just write the code/s down and use this site so you can read the code ;)

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/vw/vw.dtc.table.htm

Spoke to Vince earlier about my "Cam Sensor 2 G163 / Engine speed sensor G28 - Correl. error" issue and it might actually be an engine/ECU mismatch. They've got another ECU in the office if that's the case.

I hope it's that because R32 cam sensors are £125+VAT each!!!! Tonight I will swap the sensors over and see if the roblem follows it.

1990 - I have some MK5 manifolds if you need them mate.

1990 - I have some MK5 manifolds if you need them mate.

I'm OK for them now Kev, James has sorted me a pair. Cheers to you both for the offers.

what have you guys done about declareing an engine conversion?

, seeing as its still a 2.8 Vr6 engine iv put in ,

just change the engine number and inform my insurers its running an extra 10 horses?

You need to tell the insurance company and also DVLA mate. Tell the insurance everything. You know what they're like for wriggling out of paying out.

With DVLA, you now need to provide evidence of the engine change. What I did was ask a garage I'm friendly with to put on a piece of headed paper: "Supply used Audi 3.2 V6 engine for customer fitment. Engine number - BDB001940. £1500".

I then put the new engine number and cubic capacity on the V5 and sent that along with the dummy invoice to the DVLA and I got my new V5 through the other day.

If you don't tell the DVLA, technically it will void your insurance.

cheers mr Bacon :)

anyone had any problems before with a coil popping off the spark plug when the engines warmed up?

spark plugs tight and doesnt seem to be leaking, its a none genuine coil so iv orderd a genuine one anyway, just wandering if this has happend before? ..

cool, yea i told my m8 about it and he said exaclty the same thing about cutting a V into the rubber, atleast its nothing new then,it happened the other day and i just thought i didnt clip it down properly even though i was sure i did! after i pushed it back on it was fine for the rest of my trip but then the next day it kept popping off every 30 seconds! after the engine was warmed up, oh anyone here useing VDO oil pressure gauge ? just wandering what the normal running pressures are?, cheers..

Not had coils pop off. Oil pressure - same as VR6. Should be 2 bar when hot (10W/40) or a little less if using the 5W/30 longlife sheet.

OK, so it looks like I have fallen into the Engine / ECU / Loom mismatch trap. Both cam sensors and crank sensor replaced (lucky I don't pay full retail!!) and still the errors about cam sensor correlation. It does run surprisingly well considering it has 19 fault codes though :lol:

I knew I should have stuck with the standalone!! :lol:

What's your ecu part number Kev? Your engine is a bdb code isn't it?