Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

Ok great, yeah sunday is probably the likelihood, after the mot on saturday will be the honeymoon period! haha!

I'm starting to hate saying ill do xx on a certain day budgeting that everything will go fine, its like shooting myself in the foot! Things invariably go wrong! So we will say Sunday if everything doesn't go to pot and the throttle works and I get it through the MOT!

argh still on the hunt for this electrical gremlin! , had the loom out and peeled back all the loom tape and checked all the earths and lives and so far everything seems good, i changed an ign live for a perm live and that allowed me access to the vcds lite menu, where as before it said interface not ready, well i can start to scan for faults and it looks like it would work but nothing comes up, im starting to think my ECU is footu! which would explain alot!

edit : just a thought i have an audi a3 1.6 and my m8 has an audi 1.8t are the ecu connections the same? i.e could i plug my 2.8 ecu into either of these cars to just run a scan to rule that out?

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Well after much ball ache iv find an electrical gremlin!!! , lets hope its the only one!

it now starts! wooo!!

pin 21 which is a live of some sort basiclay ended in a ball of glue which holds the wires together, so hooked it up to battery positive and boom! the throttle blody starting adjusting itself so i quickly fired it up and it did straight away!

so just need to work out where to wire in pin 21 permanantley then its all good! thanks to rub jonny for helping me find this bugger!,

this pic helped.

VAG_ME7_x.jpg

What's the best approach for the pedal mounting? I have the bracket should I rivet, bolt or weld it? Near in mind there's fuel lines under there somewhere!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

What's the best approach for the pedal mounting? I have the bracket should I rivet, bolt or weld it? Near in mind there's fuel lines under there somewhere!

Which pedal you got? i used a plate that bolts to the two bottom studs from the brake servo, but the pedal arm needed major surgery to work in this position , but imo was the best position for the pedal i got,

still ironing out some running issues at the mo, this vac pipe, its prety obvious that it goes into the intake pipe after the maf , as the connection on the inlet pipe is right there for it, but is there anything missing? like a valve or anything?

and what is this vac pipe from? cheers

edit: just found out this is from the air shroud for the injectors,

DSC00051.jpg

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

I think thats for the secondary air injection mate? I know there's a solenoid at the front which I've deleted and that is part of the SAI system. I can only assume that is the hose for it!

I've been fixing everything up today (made up a bracket for the ecu) and put it all back together. After I did the throttle pedal has stopped working! We had unplugged the pedal to work out the fitting of it (with the engine/ecu still powered mind you). It was revving fine before we started working on the ecu bracket and pedal location.

Now I'm getting:

008487 - Accelerator Position Sensor 2 (G185): Signal too Low

P2127 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - MIL ON

I've tried clearing it, leaving the ecu disconnected for a while, nothing. I can't seem to find an error for the first position sensor either! I'm wondering if it's a wiring fault, yet I checked the plug over the phone with mark only a few days ago...

Which leaves the pedal, are throttle pedals likely to just go only a few days out of the packet? I'm completely stumped :/

Edited by Fanjita

it could very well be for sai,it goes directley below the FPR but doesnt look like its connected to that, not sure if i should leave it out or not? ,still trying to sort another possible wireing issue, which could be lambda +maf related or could very well be a dodgey maf or dodgey lambda, arghhh..

have you checked the pins on the plug for the pedal? , my plugs actualy broke but still holds the wires..

I would leave it out, I have blanked off my SAI port. It takes a lot of space at the front too, Something which I don't have. You may be able to locate it in the original air filter location if you wanted it, but it's just an emissions thing anyway.

Pins looked healthy, cant see anything directly obvious. I just gave up and left it earlier, left me really frustrated at it all tbh.

If it worked before you unplugged it, you must have disturbed one of the wires. It's easy to assume the wires / pins are fine just by looking at them, but I would do a proper end-to-end test from pedal plug to ECU plug, just to outrule the wiring.

It's very unlikely the pedal is at fault. I also don't think you would harm the ECU by unplugging the pedal with it still powered up. Doing that on the older ECUs and my standalone is fine, but I'm not sure on the ME7.

Guys, left and right (front) lambdas. Which is left and which is right? I've done black on the left and brown on the right, is this correct? The ECU (somehow) knows the difference between the banks!

Fanjita - what's the latest chap? Mine's all in. Just got a few more wires to splice in and it's ready to start. Then I can start helping with troubleshooting a bit more.

I used the website meat-doria which lists part numbers and locations (just shove in the car details for your engine, it even shows you the right engine code). You can then see which part numbers fit which bank. I could only plug it in one way due to the plug shapes.

Well I've narrowed it down mate, it appears to be the ecu or the plug. This was confirmed by moving the ecu around and putting pressure on the plug. It looks like my bracket doesn't sit the wiring properly so I'll need to adjust it.

d924d8e4-7292-d220.jpg

This is where the ecu is loosely placed and works.

d924d8e4-72d7-3b77.jpg

As soon as it's in the bracket, dead pedal. Looking at the wiring this is the way it is supposed to sit, I might have to break the welds and sit it closer to the hole in the bulk head.

Edited by Fanjita

Cool, thanks for the tips mate!

I just put my ECU on the stock Corrado bracket with very strong double sided tape, and my plugs face the front of the car. For me that's how it all sat in naturally and is also, oddly enough, how it is in the standard car :D

Could you be creating a short to ground somewhere with your bracket mate? Seems likely to me if placing the ECU in the bracket cuts a signal to something.

yea got my ecu faceing to the front aswell, drilled a new hole in the scuttle tray to accomodate the otherr ecu plug, so no real pressure on any plugs/wires and its looking rather good..

didnt realise about the lambda sensors needing to be on a certain side but it makes sense , cant remember which side my brown plug is on but im getting no faults so im assumeing everythings ok , ill take a look and let you guys know which side its on for referance..

Any chance of a pic you two? You not made another hole in your bulkhead for the wires Kev?

I also meant to ask, mark was saying to me I could post my ecu to him and he'd test it on a car he has in at the mo! If you're nearly sorted maybe you could help me test my ecu? It's just to work out if the loom has the connection prob or the ecu.

Edited by Fanjita

here you go bud,

work in progess,

DSCF0170.jpg

Anyone if theres a skrew bracket {part number?}for these diagnostic ports?

like this one,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD-Diagnostics-Port-Wiring-Plug-Pigtail-99-5-05-VW-Jetta-Golf-MK4-Genuine-OE-/280860205443?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416492a183

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Awesome, cheers mate!

There's no rubber grommets on my loom for going through the firewall, I should probably get one!

Although how would i fit it to a loom thats all wired up!? Should be attached before the plugs are joined up shouldnt it?

Pics as requested. I took these this morning on the phone, so they're a bit crap quality I'm afraid.

I finished the wiring last night and started her up this morning before going to work. She fired up immediately and idled perfectly, which was a big feckin relief as I frickin hate wiring!! :D VAG-COM link to the ECU all perfect and it revs up fine, so no issues detected at present. Gonna hopefully get it all back together and tidied up over the weekend, then can take it for a spin!

Unbelievably, the big 85mm MAF fits in the VR6 airbox with some very minor modification! :D I now have 85mm bore all the way from the box to the throttle, so may pick up a few more ponies over my previous setup.

Kev, that all looks great!

You can probably advise on this having just done basically the same.. can you tell me a list of what i'd need to replace to put everything on OEM ecu.

So far I have:

Engine loom

ECU

Pedal

I'm aware I'll need the fusebox loom & R32 throttle body, but what about things like MAF sensor & do i now need the tube that Air temp sensor pugged into etc?

I'm also going to need coil pencils as mines on the VR pack. Anything else you can think I might be missing would be very helpful!

Cheers

Baz

No time on the weekend to drop by at all then Kev? I'm just doing the same with mine, last few odds and ends! Looks awesome though mate, I'm a bit lost on your ecu plug layout though, mine is routed along the engine side of the bulkhead then both plugs enter the original engine loom hole!

I don't think I could route my loom the way you have done yours, unless I've used the wrong path!?

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Oh Baz, the guy who sold me that gear said there was some non standard map on the ECU, might give you a few ponies. Don't know any more than that but thought you'd like to know

Kev, that all looks great!

You can probably advise on this having just done basically the same.. can you tell me a list of what i'd need to replace to put everything on OEM ecu.

So far I have:

Engine loom

ECU

Pedal

I'm aware I'll need the fusebox loom & R32 throttle body, but what about things like MAF sensor & do i now need the tube that Air temp sensor pugged into etc?

I'm also going to need coil pencils as mines on the VR pack. Anything else you can think I might be missing would be very helpful!

Cheers

Baz

The air temp sensor is built into the MAF, so you that's all your need on that score. It's not easy to give a definitive list as there are subtle differences between MK4 and MK5, and even between MK5 and MK5!! But yep, everything you have listed. Coils, MAF (small if MK4, big if MK5), Power loom (for the MAF, pedal & lambdas etc), engine loom (injectors, coils, valves, sensors etc), MK5 throttle body (stronger than MK4) etc. You will also need some relays. One for the ECU, one for the coils/injectors/valves and a dummy load relay for the SAI.

Good luck! :D

No time on the weekend to drop by at all then Kev? I'm just doing the same with mine, last few odds and ends! Looks awesome though mate, I'm a bit lost on your ecu plug layout though, mine is routed along the engine side of the bulkhead then both plugs enter the original engine loom hole!

I don't think I could route my loom the way you have done yours, unless I've used the wrong path!?

Unfortunately not mate as I'm off on holiday on Sunday and won't have time to devote to troubleshooting I'm afraid :-(

I'll be back on Friday, and will be around that weekend for sure if that's any good.

RE my loom layout, that's just how it 'fell in' to the car mate, lol. Only the lambda and engine looms come through the original ECU hole in the bulkhead. The power loom didn't need to come through there at all. Everything naturally just poked through the old throttle cable hole and down to the fuse box. It's almost like the R32 was made for the Corrado how it's gone with the wiring and how the MAF even fits in the stock airbox :D

So i can fit the mk5 throttle body to the mk4? I seem to remember reading something you wrote about upgrading to the bigger maf also on the mk4s, is this worthwhile as i need to buy anyway? what was involved?