Sign in to follow this  
stingman123

A Few Problems - Any help appreciated

Morning all,

Here we go then.....

I've got a L reg VR6 with 92000 on the clock, and I've got a few questions that I need help with please.

First one, I know on most VW's the cam belt gets changed at@80000 miles is this also the case for the Corrado's? I've heard that with the VR6's the belts need changing at @60000.

Secondly, when accelerating, either hard or soft, most of the time after I've taken my foot off the gas to change gear, my revs shoot up for @ a second before settling down again. I have no idea whats causing this. I've had things checked like the lamda sensor and its ok ( not sure if its gor anything to do with it or not though)

Third one, sometimes when moving off, I can fell a "Grating" sensation on my gas pedal, again, no idea whats causing this.

Lastly, when starting up from cold, I can sometome hear a sound from the engine that sounds like tappets knocking, however after @5 mins its fine, is this normal?

Answers to any of these would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Lastly, when starting up from cold, I can sometome hear a sound from the engine that sounds like tappets knocking, however after @5 mins its fine, is this normal?

totally normal mate, VR's suffer from 'piston slap' on startup, but it goes as the engine warms. nothing to worry about.

Your throttle issues sound like a sticky throttle cable. I've just had a new one fitted (albeit to a G60) but it's made a lot of difference. In time water ingresses up the cable and it causes the sleeve liner of the cable outer to come out and go sticky.

With regards cam belts.. well, the VR doesn't have one. It has a timing chain! There is still an aux belt that drives the alternator and stuff though..

The sticking revs sound very much like the classic sticking throttle cable to me - used to get the same on my G60 and was more comon in colder weather for some reason. Get down to VAG and order yourself a replacement throttle cable - its an easy job to swap and will sort the problem :)

First one, I know on most VW's the cam belt gets changed at@80000 miles is this also the case for the Corrado's? I've heard that with the VR6's the belts need changing at @60000.

Well firstly VR6's don't have a cambelt they have a timing chain. The timing chain is supposed to last the lifetime of the vehicle but they have been known to break due to the wearing of away of the chain tensioner and guides. Most people reccommend changing the chains, tensioners & guides at around 100k but it isn't always needed. Mine haven't been done and i'm on 129k, Andi the forum Admin has done over 200k ad his haven't been done. It's a pretty expensive and labour intensive job as well and more often than not the clutch is replaced at the same time.

Try a search on the subject and you will get tons of threads it is talked about a lot! :)

That sound is tappets, VR6s are notoriously tappety when cold. As long as it quietens down, once they've fully pressurised then thats fine, nothing to worry about.