Sign in to follow this  
belfastfumanchu

New Engine, but which?

Hi guys

I have a 1.8 16v & need some expert knowledge here.

Say you have a 4k budget and you definately want to keep the Corrado you currently have but want to put a more powerful engine in it within the next 12-18 months. (And don't say just sell it & buy a VR6. Selling it is not an option).

Which engine would you go for bearing in mind all the other things that may need replaced along with it (brakes, gearbox etc etc)

Also take into consideration the approximate cost of getting it installed as I couldn't do it myself.

I would be looking to have a minimum 200bhp & preferably an engine that has suitable grunt to to along with it.

I know some people will think I'm crackers for not just selling the Corrado I have and buying a car with a bigger engine, but my lil Corrado is one of the cleanest out there and I love it to pieces. So it's not gonna happen!

4k (inc labor costs)

200bhp minimum

Nice grunt noise is a bonus :wink:

All opinions greatly appreciated! :)

for that sort of money i think, you should think about buying another rado for a donor car if ya dont want to get rid of yours. id say a g60.

if you want a nice grunt noise as you say then its got to be a vr6,which also would be the cheapest option in the long run

Either a lairy 2.0 16v on throttle bodies, which would certainly give the grunt noise, or a 1.8T, which I'm sure could be made to sound a bit special.

if you want a nice grunt noise as you say then its got to be a vr6,which also would be the cheapest option in the long run

Trouble is, if you going that route it makes sense to just buy one, but belfastfumanchu wants to keep his valver. Don't get me wrong I would love a VR6, and agree they sound gorgeous, but it just seems a bit of a pointless excercise.

with your car being a 16v you would be best sticking with a 4cylinder motor, as everything with still mount up.

so it looks like a 1.8T then

the 1.8t sounds like a good one! a g60 engine is also pretty nice, but buy one without a charger, and fit a nice lil' screw compressor :D

You could also do a rebuild to your current engine, and fit some type of forced induction to that. Then you'll have the benefits of the 16 valves, alongside with some top-range grunt.

Whatever you do, good luck :)

Thanks for the replies you lot :)

The 1.8T does sound pretty appealing so got another couple of quick questions for you.

What's the average hp be for it? (before mods)

Which cars are the 1.8T engines used in & is there any difference in them?

What else would need changed in my Corrado if I went with the 1.8T? (Brakes, gearbox etc)

Stanbates, that link that you posted says 4.5k for the conversion, but I'm giving myself a budget of 4k so would you think it's still possible?

Standard bhp ranges from 150 bhp to 225 bhp. Fitted to Mk4 Golfs, Passats, probably Sharans, Seat Leons, Ibizas, loads of Audis, Skodas too I think.

I had a 180 bhp one as standard in a Seat Leon Cupra. Went very well. I sold the whole car for £3500, that had a 6 speed box too.

Defo mate. See if you can source your own engine from a scrappy or ebay, and then speak to some garages about fitting.

Are you prepared to come over here to get the engine fitted? If so then I can highly recommend PSi Tuning in Stoke, who are currently converting my 24v engine. He could probably source an engine too.

He only got the Golf in on satuday, and it had problems styarting. The abs was causing the immobiliser to short out, he thinks, as its had a rear ender. But its sorted now.

He needs to strip the Golf and then they finish on friday for chrimbo, so its gonna be a few weeks yet.

Hes taking pics as he goes along too so I'll start a new thread in the gallery section, or even do another "Definitive" for here ;)

Just cant wait to get it back now!!

Very tempting Stan, but I think it'd be safer for me to source an engine locally.

I don't want to rush into anything either - I'm biding my time before buying unless I get too excited of course!

What would be easiest of conversions between the 1.8T and the 24v V6 ? Taking everything into consideration? Price especially.

A 24v V6 does have a nice ring to it...

Not sure mate. I reckon you may have to upgrade your suspension and brakes for a V6 as its heavier, whereas for a 1.8T you wouldnt have to.

Im sure someone else can add to that theory??

vr6 or 24V V6 are to heavy for a small car like corrado

Dont quite agree with that one. Im sure VW made a V6 version??? :roll:

Mate have you thought about building up the engine you have? 200hp is easy to exctract from the 16v with forced induction. If you are willing to spend 4k that should be a good price to achieve what you want with ease and have alot of potential.

Oh and 2500 for a S3 engine :p

vr6 or 24V V6 are to heavy for a small car like corrado

Dont quite agree with that one. Im sure VW made a V6 version??? :roll:

I don't either! Small car, small V6....problem solved :-) But we've been here before. The same people say the engine is in the wrong place in a 911 :roll: