Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Which Backbox?

I'm looking to replace my backbox and want something that will make the C sound a bit better. I've got a 2.0 16v and in standard form it really doesn't sound anything special, in-fact it doesn't really make much noise at all. I certainly don't want it to sound like a boy racer, and I also want the tailpipe to look similar to the standard Corrado one - perhaps 'Boxer' style, but do these always come out straight out or can you get them to come out at an angle like the standard C exhaust?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be most grateful.

Is this only available as a cat-back as I recently replaced my centre silencer and so I really only wanted to be replacing the backbox itself?

Have a chat with Topgear Performance over in Baisingstoke... they did mine for me and as it's custom built on to your car you can have the pipe anyway you like it... have a look in here for more info 8)

HTH

Thanks - seems worth a look.

By the way, does having a custom exhaust cause any problems with regards to your car insurance? What sort of details would I need to provide to my insurers or would they be happy with me just saying it's a custom? I'm with Adrian Flux so I'm not expecting to have any problems.

yeah magnex full system but IMO if ur paying so much for just rear doesnt hurt to get the rest

Also its perfect sound quiet on idle but nice noise at full bore

and tail pipe closest match to the original ive seen IMO

All "aftermarket" exhausts are counted as a "performance" mod so you should declare it unless it's an OE replacement. Adrian Flux are good with modded cars so there shouldn't be any probs there.

As for choice of make and design, everybody has their own favourite so have a look here:

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... 77&start=0

This may not apply to a C but I bought a Magnex back box for my old car (which fitted perfectly). I then wanted to add a Magnex centre section later on when I had some more money but the Magnex mid section supplied when you buy a full system is not compatible with a back-box Magnex supply on its own. In short, I had to have a Longlife mid section made up which didn't sit right. As I said though, it might be different for a Corrado.

I'd save up for a bit longer and get a complete stainless system all in one go. You may even liberate a few more horses too. A back box on it's own won't do much if anything for power gains. :)

Didn't change my premium Kerrin but it's always worth checking...

I know what you mean Alex but I think mine is closer tbh ;)

havent had a look at urs ;)

as ill prob be down no rice to advertise the car this month ill look at ur rear end lol

Thanks for all the advice. With regards to changing the whole system, I would rather do that, it's just that I don't really want to waste the middle silencer that it probably no more than about 3 - 4 months old.

Also with regard to the insurance thing, so if I had a custom exhaust made, do you think I'd just tell them it was custom and that they would be happy with that? Or would they want to know how much extra power it might be giving my C etc?

with flux you will just fill in a modified vehicle report form.

all it asks is make and model and who fitted............in which case a custom one would be who fitted it!

Not sure if Supersprint did a 2.0 16v version of their backboxes.

But before I had mine on I'd had a drilled airbox which gave the car such a nice low deep sound, but since fitting my Supersprint backbox it's given more "depth" into the sound, and sounds fantastic!

It's a nice oval shape too :)

i would rather mount a used turkey carcass under my car than a magnex,,

Have you had a bad experience ?? I was under the impression that Magnex was a good buy!

Have you had a bad experience ?? I was under the impression that Magnex was a good buy!

they are made of really thin stainless and it cracks easily

they are made of really thin stainless and it cracks easily[/quote:b604d]

do they?thats the first ive heard,ive had them on my golf with no problems and now on my corrado with no problems

they are made of really thin stainless and it cracks easily

do they?thats the first ive heard,ive had them on my golf with no problems and now on my corrado with no problems

The strengthening brace between the seam of the rear box and the pipe split where it was welded on mine, plus the silencers needed re-packing, oh and I had to adjust some of the bends to make it fit properly. Other than that my Magnex is fine. :?

With regards to sports/performance exhausts - what sort of power gain could I expect to get? Originally I was just after a new exhaust for better sound etc, but now I'm starting to think about how to get more performance out of my C. So for my 2.0 16v I'm just wondering how much extra hp I could get from changing my exhaust.

From the cat back?

Not much IMO... mine feels the same as it did before I had it fitted - mind you mine is due a visit to Stealth at the end of the month so may find gains after that!

Fit a KR cam if you want cheap performance...

Could I expect a local exhaust centre to be willing to fit an exhaust that I supplied myself? And if so, what should I expect to pay?