vr6storm

quick-guide to storms

Hey, I'm new here.

when was the storm made from? some says it's the last 2000 thousands of the Corrado before the line stopped, the last G' where called "Jet"

The last 500 VR's were Storms, 250 in Mystic Blue and 250 in Classic Green with 10 of each with Auto Transmission...

The Jet was a special edition only sold in germany i think...

Having just purchased a Storm, I found this article a very interesting read.

The main reason I went for this car is, as many others have said, the exclusivity of it. How many of these cars will be on the road 20 years from now? especially in a completly unmolested guise. I also own a Mk1 Golf cabriolet Sportline edition. There were only 457 (approx) sold in this country, and are becoming rarer by the year. These cars fetch more than a standard golf cabriolet, so in future years the Storm should enjoy the same fortune.

To put it another way - you can buy a Rolex in Turkey for a tenner, but you will always know its not the real thing.

To put it another way - you can buy a Rolex in Turkey for a tenner, but you will always know its not the real thing :p

...and as an owner of a few genuine Rolexes, i'd agree!!! 8)

Anyone wanna swap a Rolex for some BBS splitties :?: :!: :?:

It's not true to say that the last 500 Corrado VR6s were Storms either, they were a bit of a mish-mash of serial numbers tbh.

every once in a while some stupid american or canadian will claim to have seen one on this side of the pond as well. The debate over Wolfsberg editions rages on here...

Someone over there really should import a Storm - they'd be onto a real showstopper there.. nice and rare :)

To put things straight on this post... yes I painted my callipers red very early on in the days of ownership (indeed I added some mud guard too in my infinite wisdom- DOH!)

Quoting from a super rare 'THE PRODUCT BULLETIN' Issued by VW UK for dealers, issue 23 March 1995 - 'The Corrado "Storm"'

'The Corrado Storm specification is only available for the UK market and therefore provides our valued customers with a final opportunity to acquire a unique version of the highly successful Corrado VR6'

[align=right]Engine:VR6 190bhp manual and automatic.

Specification:As Current Corrado VR6, with the following additions:

61/2 x 15 'Solitude' BBS alloy wheels

Leather upholstery

Front Seat Heating

Sony CDX-600 DSP front loading CD player

Pearl effect paint work

Colour coded front grill

Red 'Storm' badging (on rear and gear shift housing)

Options:No options to be offered.

Colours/Mystic Blue Pearl effect with Black Leather upholstery

Upholstery:Classic Green Pearl effect with Light Beige leather upholstery

Volume:Limited to 500

480 manual 50/50 split

20 automatic 50/50 split

Introduction:May 1995[/align]

The Corrado Storm is extremely good value with an additional £2,000 worth of equipment for only £1,300 increase over the current VR6.

****************** Basic £ *** VAT £ *** TOTAL £ ********

"Storm" Manual.......19148.00.....3350.90....22498.90

"Storm" Auto..........19914.00.....3484.95....23398.95

There are no factory options offered on the Corrado "Storm"[/align]

- I'll scan the whole document at some point and put it on my site.

I'm sure I remember a P reg Mystic blue Storm on a website somewhere, wonder how rare they are? Registered in late '96 over a year after they were discontinued.

Yes I've got picture evidence of at least 2 known P reg storms in Mystic Blue.

In actual fact all the Storm's were delivered to VW UK via the docks at Grimsby at the same time (or in close proximity shipments). I have an article in VW Driver magazine that shows a picture of rows of the cars waiting to either go to dealers or sit and rust until they were ordered.

Interestingly non of the cars is badged as a 'Storm' and this was done on arrival to the dealer who had to order the badges themselves from Milton Keynes with the original car order.

Despite the badge kits (I have several) coming with instructions and a template where to locate the rear storm badge.. many c0ck handed dealers put the badges in the wrong place! Rumour has it that because the badges were made in Turkey that's the reason why they weren't put on in the factory.

Interesting, it'd be good to see those pics sometime :wink:

the badge kits (I have several)

How did you get hold of them? You're sitting on a nice little goldmine there :)

I know, I ordered some of them from dealers when they were still available and picked up 2 sets from auto jumbles over the years.

Dare I say it but I actually have 5 1/2 spare sets. ;-)

Yes you are right, there is quite a lot of value sitting in my loft considering I saw a brand new set sell on ebay to someone in America for £275. Maybe when I need a new gearbox or go for that turbo and charged conversion I'll be selling some.

I'm not in it for the money though... I actually provided a set to a genuine storm owner that had his rear badge stolen a few years ago. 8)

Reading through this post i think that the Corrado Storm was alot more of a marketing ploy, as it seemed like VW tried to milk the end of the production of the Corrado.

Although the Storm colours were different to the other blues and greens they were still not exclusive enough as the Dusty Mauve used on the Campaign. The marketing of the Corrado storm reminds me of the late MK1 Golf cabriolet Rivage which again came in a choice of blue or green and had a similar appeal as a Storm.

I do like the Scirrocco storm MK2 with the tan leathers and brown paint, it gives a retro feel, something the campaign had.

I just dont think the storm had exclusivness that it deserved.

I suppose they could have made more of an effort to say farewell to the Corrado, but it was only the UK that got the Storm in recognition of our sales, so it is quite a unique model in that respect. At least the Storm didn't go Global!

Agreed on the colours....just about every MK3 I see on a daily basis is either Classic green or Mystic blue, and the rest of the Storm goodies were taken straight from the generic VW parts bin, bar the badging.

Still...despite the apparent lack of effort applied to the Storm, they sold like hotcakes, which is all the bean counters at VW care about really.

I think around the early nineties, the dark mica blue was probably one of the best selling colours, eg vw's aqua blue, bmw mauritiaus blue, rovers tahiti blue etc and probably judging on how well aqua blues sold they bought a colour close enough to it but with a purple flip difference to make it exclusive enough to use on the storm. Seems like a calcualted method to ensure they would sell the storms.

Probably an impossible question to answer but - how many of the original 500 are left do you reckon?

I saw one a few weeks back in a multi storey in Aberdeen and it had been neglected, lots of rust on it, very corroded wheels etc etc and I saw the owner too - a middle aged woman in a business suit. Felt like giving her a right slap!

diggerbucket, There are no more than 40 storms left!!!!! i will keep saying this to push the price up of mine!

If anyone can prove otherwise go for it! let me know!

Hi people, just joined this forum (linked from someone on vwvortex) and thought I'd let you all know that I just bought my Green Storm about 3 weeks ago.

The only reason I went for the Storm was it's exclusivity, I honestly didn't/don't care about the spec, I really dont. I just want the storm, and what a car it is :D