Sign in to follow this  
Not_Aircooled_or_Taxfree

Syncro or 4 Motion

Since the late 1998, Volkswagen replaced the viscous-coupling Syncro system with a new system called "4motion". First shown in Audi TT and Golf 4motion, the new system uses a multi-plate clutch center differential developed by a Swedish company, Haldex

Give you any clues? :roll: :lol:

Synchro is the old mechanical-based 4WD system used on Mk2s and is the easiest to retro-fit to a Corrado because you can weld in the rear boot floor from the Synchro 'rat to accomodate the rear diff.

The Haldex system is the new system that's electronically controlled and completely different and I suspect near-impossible to retro-fit to a Corrado.

I didnt realise that!

Note: "4motion" is not equal to Haldex system. Volkswagen also use "4motion" to represent the Torsen-LSD system used by Passat. Therefore, "4motion" is actually a marketing nameplate instead of indicating the mechanical design.

The Haldex system is the new system that's electronically controlled and completely different and I suspect near-impossible to retro-fit to a Corrado.

Dubsport have fitted to a mk2 so corrado should be possible too.

Dubsport have fitted to a mk2 so corrado should be possible too.

Haldex can be fitted to corrado as they have done to mk2 but i thihk Dubsport lock up the rear diff for whatever reason, think it makes a permanent 4wd then?

You'd be wrong there to a degree.. If one uses the existing rallye rear subframe arm and wishbones, a few simple mods and the haldex can be hung. Obviously you need an electronic controller to tell the rear diff what to do.. i.e. 60/40 split etc.. but its perfectly possible to do.. watch this space :wink:

Just shows you how much notice you all took why coxylaaad showed you all a pic of a haldex diff in his corrado oevr a year ago....

Meh, he wanted to know the difference, I just highlighted the bit in the article.

And no, I didn't - the technical stuff usually just sails over my head anyway, so I don't read it :lol: