Sign in to follow this  
matth76

GMAX suspension kits

Hi

I've been recommended I go for GMAX suspension kits by quite a few people as they are low cost but in fact very good quality and last. Has anyone here used them or can confirm if this is true?

My car's a golf VR6 which has far worse standard suspension than the Corrado. Hence I need an upgrade :) I've heard SPAX kits are far too bouncy. Aren't GMAX and Spax related companies - in which case are GMAX kits very bouncy too?

Ideally I want a firmer ride but not too firm that I shatter teeth but also looks good with a lower stance but most of all a kit that eliminates body roll as much as possible making taking corners much more stable.

As an alternative I could go for Koni shocks and Eibach springs however the cost is very high at ~£750 (taking the fitting/alignment into account too), or alternatively FK Highsport coilovers - although I've yet to see a review about them and how long they actually last.

Any other alternatives?

Thanks for any help.

Matt

I had a G-Max kit on a car that I sold having only covered about 200 miles on them. I can't really give a good guide as to how they ride as I didn't really do any real driving with them, but what I can say is that I had to send one shock back a week after fitting them due it leaking.

I've heard that SPAX are rather ropey, but not entirely sure if they're linked with GMAX.

You do get what you pay for with suspension though. The Koni and H&R combo seems to be one of the favourites on the forum. I had Konis and Eibachs on my C when I got it and it was crashy as heck and I think I lost about 3 fillings, but the H&Rs are much more refined springs without losing the body control.

FK Highsport coillies are apparently pretty hard, but the FK Konigsports get good reviews.

they are a budjet kit imho.. I feel you would be better of spending a little more on somthing that will actually enhance the drive of your corrado..

a few examples for you.

gmax kit £215.99 - we DONT sell these.

h&r cup kit £345.00

Fk Highsports £400.00

Fk Konigsports £520.00

H&R coilovers £810.00

As you can see there is quite a wide range price wise in suspension.

It all depends whether you want adjustable ride height or not - if not, you can't really get much better than the Koni TA damper/H&R springs combo, but it's pricey (although there is a GB on at the mo). If you want height adjustability, the budget FK AKs seem to be quite popular, but there's obviously also the Highsports and Konigsports too depending on your budget.

Yeah, probebly worth waiting a bit untill you can afford to splash a bit more out on suspension, like anything on a car, it seems pointless changing bits unless you are upgrading.

g-man, is that price for the highsports with or without vat mate? :)

well spotted. Now ammended to include vat . You need to subtract your 5% discount from these prices though. :lol:

I've got a Gmax kit on mine and the ride is abit crashy, plus I've noticed recently that one rear corner sits 15mm lower than the other side. Haven't investigated yet so don't know whats caused that. Also, front seems too soft compared to the back (VR6) so I do wonder whether they acutally change the kit for the extra weight of the VR lump or just use the 4 pot kit. And it sits lower than I would like although on standard wheels they don't rub.

Seems to handle well enough though but would like the Koni H&R set as mentioned, just can't see where the 3x price tag comes from.

Had a few PM's regarding the Highsports I mentioned further up. There's a group buy on Eastside VW at the moment:

http://www.eastsidevw.co.uk/modules.php ... pic&t=2848

I know the guy, his family business is one of the best bodyshops in the north of Scotland, and I can vouch for him being genuine.

If you can't be bothered registering to get in touch, his e-mail address is mailto:[email protected] (his dad's name). Tell him I sent you and he'll sort you out.