Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

how many oms from coolant temp sensor when enigne is hot?

I have a 1993 9a 2ltr 16v engine.

To try and sort my ugly cold starting probs i stuck a multimeter on my coolant temp sensor, it read 0.03 oms and the engine was hot(90 degres'ish)

What should it be reading at different temperatures?

Neil

Are you sure it was 0.03 Ohms or Kohms??

I'd check the reading again from cold to warm...

The pic below is for the G60 and the scales may be different but it should give you an idea...

As I said in the other thread...

On the 2.0 16v it's not a sender, it's a switch. 0.03 Ohms was just the resistance of the switch contacts and the multimeter leads including any calibration error in the meter itself. The result shows that the switch is closed when the engine is warm. Let the engine cool and check that the switch opens. If the switch is open when cold it's likely to be functioning correctly.

I hear ya' Supercharged. No worries.

One thought is that maybe the switch is fine but the wiring isn't. If someone can provide the pin assignments then maybe testing the switch state at the ECU would be an idea.

The next thing to test is either the thermo-time switch or, alternatively, remove the cold start valve from the inlet manifold and check that it's operating correctly when the engine's cold. You can test it with a warm engine by disconnecting the white temperature switch to simulate a cold engine.

If that all checks out...how handy are you with a multimeter Neil? I've got the Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management book that gives details of all differential pressure regulator mixture enrichment tests that may shed some light.

well bcstudent, ive got a multimeter, ive no idea how to use but it seems a pretty uptodate one, i got it for xmas.

If you could tell me what to look for i might be able to try.

stick a new one on, whatever the reading, they can play up intermittently, and cause fuelling probs which will get blamed on the lamda probe.

is it true that the temp sonsor is about £28? is it a simple case of un bolting the old one, and putting the new one in?