Sign in to follow this  
Petros

VR6 Badges

My Corrado was debadged by a previous owner; there are no VR6 badges on the front or rear, but the VW badges are intact.

I want to put the badges back on, as I think the car looks much better with them. Aside from the possibility of making the car a more attractive steal, I can see no reason to hide which model of C I have.

First question, which colour should the badges be on an early '94 model (registered in april). As far as I can tell the red to silver switch happened around then, but I don't know when exactly. I personally think the red badges look meaner, and hence better, but I'm interested in other's opinions...

Anyway, I've looked around online to source some new badges, but I only see grille badges advertised. Does one type of badge fit both the front & back, or do I need two separate parts?

If you decide to go with silver I have a spare back badge you can use (only if its going on your car though). kevhaywire gave it to me so its only right i pass it on in the spirit of the forum. Just PM me and i will post it to you.

For the front badge don't go with a lot of the ones on ebay. There are a lot of monkeys on there who advertise a front golf VR6 badge, which is way bigger then the corrado badge and does not fit the grille.

EDIT: VR6 back badge, not the corrado one (although i think you can still get the'corrado' badge from VW or GSF).

They are two separate parts.

I'm not sure of the exact date of changeover between red & silver but you can put on what you want :)

If you're lucky someone may have a grill one lying about that they'll sell you, these are not available from the dealers anymore. I'd keep checking ebay as well, that's where I got mine from & quite cheap because it was advertised as a golf one. The golf badges ARE different, they don't have the black border the Corrado ones have and they wont fit properly!

Thanks for all the replies.

Just to clarify, its the VR6 badges, the Corrado badge is thankfully still intact.

I've taken L4PRG up on his kind offer or a rear badge (thanks mate!), and I think I've found a fairly cheap source for grille badges at http://www.gpcvwaudi.com/others.htm.

Trigger; I'm trying to keep the car more-or-less standard, hence wanting to know the correct colour. The C is Storm Grey, so in the absence of hard facts I think the badges will have to be red to add some contrast. Then I could paint the callipers red to match, but I guess that's kind of moving away from the 'standard' look & feel :-)

I know you can get special tape for the rear badges from good parts shops (and Halfords!), but is there a special glue for the grille badge, or will superglue/epoxy resin do the trick?

Petros- Sorry mate but the GPC website last got updated around 1972. The VR6 Grille badges are indeed rare beasts as a few people have said- You'll just have to keep an eye on ebay (watch out for the VR6 grilles that come complete with the badge- quite a few people miss fact it comes with the VR badge and so go quite cheap)

Cheers

Early cars - colour coded 'Corrado' badge and red VR6/16v/G60 badges

Late cars - black and chrome 'Corrado' and VR6 badges

sorry to resurrect an old thread but if anyone has a spare chrome vr6 grille badge they wanna sell pls, pls, pls PM me. No luck yet on ebay :brickwall:

thx

Just to clarify, the Corrado script badge, either in primer for colour-coding or the chrome-effect is no longer available from GSF, GPC or VW dealers. Both have been obsolete for over a year, VR6 chrome-effect grille badges MIGHT be available from trimsport or GPC VW/ Audi.

Cheers

VR6 grille badge from VAG ran out over a year ago. I was told this by two VAG parts departments - they gave the exact date it became unavailable.

I feel I have to keep the original badges off the car and in the house now.

My "Storm", "Corrado" and "VR6" grill badges on the car are either replicas or patched up old ones. From a distance, 99% of motorists would not be able to tell, I guess!

You have got to laugh - what a fuss, eh?

I found one eventually on ebay, as part of a complete front grill, and paid way over the odds for it - about £40 in total IIRC.

It took a while to find, but IMO well worth the wait and expense to get the car looking right again.

As IceWhite said above, the best way seems to be watching out for the grill complete with badge as I didn't see a single badge sold separately the whole time I was looking.

Sorry to hijack here, but does anyone know if the "VR6" and "Storm" badges are pinned, or just stuck down? Looking to buy a car where both badges are in the wrong place, I would want to move them to the correct positioning. And before you ask, it is a genuine Storm!!

The rear VR6 badge is stuck down, the grill one clips into place. I would imagine the rear Storm badge sticks down too.

It's only, AFAIK, the Corrado script that is pinned in place.

I can confirm that my Storm badge was stuck on with adhesive which softens with application of heat from a hairdryer.

Take off the old sticky stuff from Storm badge

apply a strip of double sided adhesive tape made for the purpose (from Maplins or Halfords).

With a pointy bladed craft knife, carefully cut the surplus tape from around the letters

remove last piece of backing and carefully stick badge back in correct place.

NB The Storm badge is now so hard to get (allegedly fetching over £100 on ebay) it is probably not wise to display the original badge if you use the car day to day - they can be removed easily by a tealeaf.

I made a replica and stuck that on, keeping the original in the house (along with the grill VR6 badge.)

godskitchen wrote

Storm badges go for a lot more than £100. i also think they will keep

going up. Im banking on it!

An Irish trader?!

Blimey! Somebody's gonna get well stung some day. :) :wink: