Sign in to follow this  
Linus Van Pelt

Why is my throttle cable wrapped in plastic?

My Throttle cable has a white plastic coating? Is this normal? (basically a plastic tube atround the cable)

I have a sneaking suspicion it used to live inside the bit where the cable dissapears into on it's way to the pedal...

I recently noticed that where the cable is exposed above the engine the plastic wrapping was getting shredded, caught up & split. It was then getting itself jammed in the bit which moves when you press the throttle pedal (like my technical descriptions? :roll: )

I have removed the offending pieces, but now the remaining bit merrily works it's way up the cable to get itself caught up again... (which makes the throttle pedal heavy and reduces the car's ability to accelerate :? )

Is it okay for me to remove the remainder of this plastic stuff?

Cheers!

DtM.

yes its supposed to be there,it basically stops the cable from rubbing in the inside of the outer shroud,if it wasnt there it would eventually wear the throttle cable and cause it to fray and get caught in the outer cable

yes its supposed to be there,it basically stops the cable from rubbing in the inside of the outer shroud,if it wasnt there it would eventually wear the throttle cable and cause it to fray and get caught in the outer cable

Thanks mate! :thumbleft:

Anyone got any ideas on how I keep the remaining bit in place then? I suppose I could cable tie it, to stop it moving as much as it is at the moment... :scratch:

save yourself the hassle and get a new one; it'll feel a whole lot better & you'll be glad you did.

You wouldn't want it to snapp on you in the middle of no where !!!!!!!!!! :shock:

James

Or worse, Jam on full throttle! :shock: :onfire: