Sign in to follow this  
timmaaah

Ignition key getting 'stuck'

Hi - noticed over the last couple of days that sometimes when I go to start my car, I put the key in the ignition, but it won't turn. It's almost like the steering lock is engaged, but I always wiggle the steering wheel, but this seems to make no difference. Other times I can slip it in (oo eer) and it'll turn a piece of p1ss.I have tried looking thru the search, but can't seem to find anything directly regarding my problem. Is the barrel knacked or what? Any pointers would be really helpful - cheers!

Tim

Is it a re-cut key? When it sticks it may be worth pulling it out very slightly to see if that helps as it may not be lining up with the mech quite right...

Sounds like the ignition switch is borked. Mine used to do that too before I changed it. It used to be reluctant to go into the stage 3. Swapped it for a VW one (there was a pattern one in there previously) and it's been perfect ever since.

check you key isnt slightly bent, mines doing the same thing but my main key has a slight bend in it, on my spare set its fine every time.

Hi - noticed over the last couple of days that sometimes when I go to start my car, I put the key in the ignition, but it won't turn. It's almost like the steering lock is engaged, but I always wiggle the steering wheel, but this seems to make no difference. Other times I can slip it in (oo eer) and it'll turn a piece of p1ss.I have tried looking thru the search, but can't seem to find anything directly regarding my problem. Is the barrel knacked or what? Any pointers would be really helpful - cheers!

Tim

Sounds like the ignition switch is borked. Mine used to do that too before I changed it. It used to be reluctant to go into the stage 3. Swapped it for a VW one (there was a pattern one in there previously) and it's been perfect ever since.

Ignition switch or barrel? - got in my car this morning and the key literaly refuses to turn, I assume it;s the barrel that's fooked?

I had the same thing happen on my mk3. It got to the point to where the key would no longer turn. Changed out the ignition switch...problem gone.