Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

[MY NEW!] 6 speed box - pics p6

I think it doesnt exist and hes winding us all up

lol, if i was it's working :-P!

No seriously, the chap I'm picking it up off has a pregnant wife/gf ready to drop so couldn't make it over to let me take pics.

I do need to reiterate AGAIN, that we aren't sure if it's an 02A - that's what the pics will be for, when I eventually get round there.

oh, hang on, no it doesn't. check out the o2J/02a type casings next to it, the bolt holes on the bell housing are clearly different.

I think you may find that's a 6 speed off a 1.6 FSI, which is a smaller block engine, like the Lupo GTI, so I'd doubt very much if it'll fit the bigger block engines.

Didn't Stealth used to do a 6-speed 'Gemini' conversion, or is that the same as the Quaife that someone has already mentioned?

I was talking to Vince about it about 6 or 7 years ago as I've always felt that there is a real dead spot for overtaking 'oomph' in real-world driving where 2nd is too low and 3rd is too high. He suggested his Gemini conversion but I didn't do it in the end. I wish I had in some ways. Same goes for the VSR.

looks like an 02a casing to me! wow!

mines a Gemini. they made the 6 speed kits for VW motorsport back in the day.

dont think that its gonna be an easy conversion for you, its not a direct swap

the rear gearbox mount cant be bolted on and u cant change the case for one that has the rear mount holes, as its completly different because the pins for the selectors are in a different place

the mounting surface for the starter motor is wrong, not letting the starter engage fully with the flywheel

you cant put a normal type 02A/02J diff in there, the clutch release arm and bearing are different as is the mounting holes for the gear cable bracket,

also there is not a hole in the box to put a speedo drive into, it runs off the abs on newer cars

but on the up side, the reverse idler shaft stabalizer is stronger

the 02A based 6speed does exist and its not from a 1.6fsi

Thanks for the advice VR6Will, this isn't from a 1.6 fsi mate, it's the 2.0 GT. Fortunately for me, the only issue will be mounting it. The other issues you mention assume that I'm trying to use Corrado parts.

mines a Gemini. they made the 6 speed kits for VW motorsport back in the day.

Is it still available? And is it a worthwhile conversion, would you say?

Hmmm. Well I guess I can add that to the long list of missed opportunities in my life then. :|

Dunno if anyone's interested, but I know of another one of these boxes for sale (assuming the chap confirms the model on Monday). PM for details..