Sign in to follow this  
N_TaG

Steering 'clunk' noise on 1.8 16v

My 1.8 16v Corrado has developed quite a loud 'clunk' noise which appears to be coming from steering column/axle. It only occurs at one point of moving the steering wheel and can be felt through the floor (at my feet) and through the steering column. The noise 'feels' like something in the steering mechanism is catching on something as it moves past a certain point.

It does not occur when the car is jacked up on stands.

Only seems to be at low speeds.

Both CV boots appear in good condition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has become a bit of a worry for me!

N_TaG

Sounds like a ball joint maybe; although i had very similar symptoms and it turned out to be a bent track rod arm... This can be replaced without replacing the whole rack if it is this

as dr_mat says could well be you top mounts on the shockers , if you jack the car up and grab hold of the top and bottom edges of the wheel can you get any movement if you try to bounce the wheel up and down , this you will have to put some muscle in to to get it to do it . also check that when you jack the car up watch the top mount in the engine bay , does the mount travel down wards through the suspension tower , if it does then theres a good chance that the mounts are shot . :clown:

you can check the lower ball joint the same way when the cars jacked up get some one to rock the top and bottom of the wheel in and out while your looking at the lower joint , or place a decent size lever bar between the ball joint on the lower arm and the wheel hub and lever up and down , some tomes this is more evedent when the car is on the ground , so you may struggle to do this , also check the front roll bar droplinks , with the car on the ground grab hold of the droplinks and pull them or try to wiggle them. if they move easiry then there worn , while your doing all this you may as well check the lower wish bone bushes , when car jacked up turn wheel on to a lock so you can see the wish bone bushes and physicly try to wiggle the wheel , if the bushes are worn you will see the wish bone move , hope this gives you some thing to look for and if you can get access to a ramp it will make it a lot easer to do , if not 20 mins scrabbling around on your back should find some thing ,good luck mate :robot:

top mounts took me about 1.5 hours about 3 weeks ago to do both sides and i took my time as i cleaned up all the suspension components and brake parts when doing it , not hard to do just make sure you have correct tools and a decent pair of spring compressors , even though i didnt need to use them on mine as the lowering springs on my car are so short i didnt need them :drinking:

Could be the spring catching on a worn spring plate then suddenly flicking round to correct itself and clunking, mine did it until I got new shocks & springs. Does it do it when steering only one way or both?

Have a look on the steering rack swapping thread Jay Renshaw created. It's the rack.

Mine does exactly the same thing and I've been down the mounts and BJs road many times without success....

This morning i had it up on the stands and tried all the wobbling and wibbling suggested above with no avail. The top mounts seem fine and the ball joints ok too. The anti-roll bar linking does look old but i cant find any play when its on the ground. (although this was difficult as its down by 40mm). The lady i bought the car from knew nothing about mechanics but claimed her 'local' guy had said it was something on the steering rack catching. I will investigate further and let you know when i've worked it out!

Presume that your 40mm lower car, with correct wheel offset(?), has no bits hanging off/sticking out in the wheel arch to catch the wheel ??

The clunk noise happens when moving forward/backward or when you are still and move the steering wheel??????

- if its the movement of the steering wheel, try the steering rack as Kev suggests. How? - um, not sure, Im guessing you'd have to disconnect somewhere to move freely - anyone?

How big a job is it to replace the rack? I've read the wiki guide for a G60 but know there are slight differences for a valver. Also, am i gonna need any special tools to do the job?