Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Eagle F1's

If you visit http://www.mytyres.co.uk and look for goodyear eagle f1's at the size of 195/50/15 they're going for about £31-£33 per tyre delivered!

Very good tyre for a bargain price! £10 for fitting oon top and still v good.

I know its not the exact size for the C but it'll still fit ok.

It is the correct size if you have a valver or a G60.. the VR however is 205/15/15 so obviously not the correct fitment for that.

I got Eagle F1 GSD3's at my local tyre centre back when I had my G60 for £44/corner fitted! Bargain! :)

It is the correct size if you have a valver or a G60.. the VR however is 205/15/15 so obviously not the correct fitment for that.

I got Eagle F1 GSD3's at my local tyre centre back when I had my G60 for £44/corner fitted! Bargain! :)

are 4 stud speedline smaller then?

Tis correct....

Check those cheap 195 F1s aren't H rated (up to 130mph IIRC), that's why some tyres are so cheap. 205/50/15 is an uncommon size, hence they're quite expensive. The difference between V and Z rated tyres can be as much as £50 for the same model with some brands.

Personally if you've got a VR, I can't see the point in sacrificing grip for the sake of a few bob....

But if they're eagle f1s they're v/z speed rated and they're the right load rating too.

Of course, mytyres seem to have a complete inability to tell you if they don't have them in stock, so don't wait too long before you call them to double check.

I don't know why VW went from 195- width to 205- width for the VR. Maybe it was for some extra grip, maybe it was to protect the alloys from kerbing a little more, maybe it was to get a higher load-rating. On the whole it would be better if they hadn't, because 205/50/15 are becoming a rare tyre size, and a lot of manufacturers are dropping them. 195/50/15 will probably be available for ever though ...

I don't know why VW went from 195- width to 205- width for the VR.

It's to do with the wide track but not exactly sure why....

So you dont scuff your alloys when your bouncing of curb's (not that I do that :oops: )

I don't know why VW went from 195- width to 205- width for the VR. Maybe it was for some extra grip

I think you answered you're own question.

Also a heavier car, so more rubber needed to spread the load. 205/50s are a lot wider than 195/50s too, even though the 'on paper' size would suggest otherwise.

I don't know why VW went from 195- width to 205- width for the VR.

It's to do with the wide track but not exactly sure why....

surely it's got something to do with getting that power and torque down, if the 16v and G60 were 140 and 160bhp ish and the VR6 is 190 it makes sense to put slightly more rubber in contact with the tarmac?

David.

... 205/50s are a lot wider than 195/50s too, even though the 'on paper' size would suggest otherwise.

1cm wider?

surely it's got something to do with getting that power and torque down, if the 16v and G60 were 140 and 160bhp ish and the VR6 is 190 it makes sense to put slightly more rubber in contact with the tarmac?

That makes sense but I don't think it actually had anything to do with figures as the mk3 GTi's (again, 5 stud and wide-track) also got 205's...