Sign in to follow this  
VR6 South

Respray - Water based paint

Does anyone have any advice on the pros and cons of having a respray done in the "friendly" water based paint against the older two pack system? I've started to get quotes and have been offered both :?

Jay Renshaw had his done in water based paint I believe, it is apparently superior and certainly looked stupendously shiny in the pictures. Take a look at his Members Gallery.

the reason why they are starting to use water based paints is due to new health and safety regulations,the old 2 pack paints give off isocyanide fumes,the level of finish is down the the painter rather than the paint

i think they are doing away with the 2 pack stuff as with the reason dazzyvr6 gave. its all health and safety now.

i think they are doing away with the 2 pack stuff as with the reason dazzyvr6 gave. its all health and safety now.

Don't I know it. I'm a Health & Safety Advisor :lol: :lol:

it really makes no difference as the water based paint is only base coat colour,it still needs 2 pack clear laquer over the top the same as a solvent based product,might be worth noteing though water based paint is almost twice as deer per litre

funk

it really makes no difference as the water based paint is only base coat colour,it still needs 2 pack clear laquer over the top the same as a solvent based product,might be worth noteing though water based paint is almost twice as deer per litre

funk

its also thinner, personally if you've got the choice between water based and 2 pack i chose the latter every time.

funk

Thanks. The place I spoke to said that 2 pack would be more expensive :? I think I'll pay them a visit to see what their work is like.

Typically, most compromises on the grounds of health & safety or environmental issues mean we have to pay more money for a less effective product.

I guess it might be difficult to beat the durability of all those volatile solvent-based products that poison our world as well as the people whose job it was to apply them!

the consistency is no difference its mixed exactly the same 2 parts paint 1 part thinners or water or on some occasions 50/50

and any base coat is not a 2 pack pruduct as it contains no hardener

funk

I'm pretty sure you can't get the old stuff any longer, its just water based paint now and then 2 pack laquer... its not bad stuff tbh and coming from someone who paints the odd car now and then you don't get as high when your spraying :lol:

I'm pretty sure you can't get the old stuff any longer, its just water based paint now and then 2 pack laquer... its not bad stuff tbh and coming from someone who paints the odd car now and then you don't get as high when your spraying :lol:

It all to do with the quatities of painting done by the company. If they ahve low turn over of jobs they are allowed to use 2-pack, but if they are a big firm, then they have touse water-based paint AFAIK

2 pack is still avaliable at the moment but it is due to be phased out by jan 1 2007.

If i remember rightly VW were one of the first manufacturers to use water based paint in the late 80's early 90s

If it was my car the id get it done in 2 pack

Manufacturers can no longer produce two pack paints, anyone using or selling it is mearly using whats left on the shelf so to speak.

As for the quality of finish, its easier to get a better finish with water based paints than it is with solvent based paints.

i'd better get some aqua blue mixed up quick time then, i've always used 2 pac and never had a problem, from the pics of jays new paint the finish looks very good.