Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

VR6 rear brake caliper.

Hi all,

I've a 96 VR6 with what appears to be the same old sticky rear caliper problem that everyone else has from time to time. Something to do with the hand-brake cable mechanism I believe?

If anyone has any info about what causes this and what I might be able to do to fix it (without having to fork out the small fortune for a replacement caliper) that would be mighty marvelous! :)

As I understand it you can "upgrade" these pretty easily to Golf Mk3 parts? Is that right? Apparently these are less susceptible to the problem? Would it be a gimme that you must upgrade both sides at the same time?

Alternatively, are the VR6's rear calipers the same as e.g. the 16V or G60 cars, so I might be able to pick one up from a scrappy?

TIA!

M.

theres a spring off a ford granada or something like that,its stronger than the vw one and stops the handbrake lever from sticking

the first thing to do is replace the handbrake cables. It is the cable that seizes first, then because the caliper doesnt move it seizes too. If you take the cables out from the caliper, and pull the handbrake lever, if it is still stiff, there is the problem.

You could try taking caliper off, get it on a bench and assuming it is not already solid, try to free mech. out.

Hand brake cable £8 Ea from stealler.

Let us know the outcome.

HTH

Andrew

there are two, go in paralell to the rear calipers. (a right and left one).

Also get the clip that hold the cable to the rear beam, (£1 Ea) to stop the cable rubbing on the wheel. :shock:

The cable replacement is a mighty fine idea. Thanks. I must admit I'd discounted that simply because I've heard so many times that it's the caliper itself that seizes due to a design flaw...

Start with the simple stuff though, I suppose!! :)

it is a design flaw,thats why peple change it for the mk3 and now mk4 alloy calipers,a would say the cable would be pretty much ok as they are well sealed,ive got the same problem on my rear drivers side caliper,which is seized and not the cable

I had a quick look this lunchtime. The calipers are both moving, and the cable is moving through on both sides, but it's definitely not "free and easy", so IMHO it's worth doing the cables first just to see if it helps.

At the same time I'll put a few drops of light oil on the handbrake mechanism and waggle it back+forth to see if I can make it a little freer. As it were... ;)

16vG60 is changing my G60 brakes on friday to Mk4 Alloys as i have suffered from sticky rear calipers (nearly crap myself coming to a stop and smoke coming from back wheel and you connot touch it its so hot) At the end of the day i am having new disks, calipers and pads, new brake lines just to give myself piece of mind about the bloody calipers. :lol: