Sign in to follow this  
johnxl1s

abs light

the abs light came on all of a sudden, then after i parked the car for a whlie and started it again it was off, is it anything to worry about.

thanks john

probably not if its staying off now. depending on the year you can run the codes and see what the fault was about... try hammering the brakes in the wet and test it out.

Might be one of the wheel sensors complaining. If you don't have VAG-COM diagnostics, simply find a quiet road and lock the brakes up. If the ABS is working properly, the car should pull up in a straight line with no skidding, obviously, but you might get the odd 'scuff' from the rear wheels, which is normal.

I do this regularly, especially in the wet, to keep a check on it because I want them to work when I need them the most.

Kev

or the odd scuff from the hedge if it locks up lol

it's most likely a sensor playing up.

or the odd scuff from the hedge if it locks up

That sounds like the voice of experience! :lol:

Corrado (and most early VW) ABS systems are renowned for being a bit pants in the reliablity stakes... They're normally a faulty sensor or crud in the rotors.... :?

If it keeps coming on and is starting to worry you, check that there's nothing in any of the grates on the sensor rotors. Then check the resistance of the sensors by disconnecting them and putting a multimeter across the two terminals or each sensor in turn. If one sensor is a mile different from the rest, then this could be your problem... 8)

My ABS light flashes on for no apparent reason every now and then, and I've checked all of the sensors and rotors and am now certain that one of my rear rotors jams every now and then causing the sensor to think the wheel is locked while I am not touching the brakes which puts the light on... :roll: I'll fix it when I've put a new engine in and can test it again! :lol:

Sorry, I forget that some people won't know the word "crud" :lol: Crud's another (less offensive) word for cr@p... :D

The front sensors are on the hub mountings behind the wheel with the rotors (flat disk with holes in at the front) attached to the back of the rotating bit of the hubs They're pretty obvious if you jack the car up, take the wheel off and have a look behind the disk.

The rears rotors are like a topless cone shaped wire cage that are attached to the back of the rear disks. The sensors are again attached to the hubs.

You'll find that if you need to change the sensors, you probably won't be able to remove them without destroying them as they'll have grown in...

The rear rotors are pretty easy to change (and quite cheap too!) Take the rear disk off and they just slide onto the rear of the disk and then have a cap to hold them in place. I've not had to remove the front rotors yet, so I don't know how to do them... :roll:

Hope this helps. 8)