Sign in to follow this  
willg

vr6 coolant level issues

hi thisis kinda a continuation of a previous conversation (still new i dont know how to include parts of old conversation yet) with regards to my coolant level going down perhap 400ml every 3-4 weeks. kevhaywire was pretty helpful and sugested it may be my heater matrix.

has anyone else got a similar problem or has any ideas

- there is not visible signs of water leaks on the ground or on the engine.

- i had a new auxilary water pump a few months ago (electric) they pressurised the system and said this was the only thing leaking.

- the heater works fine (perhaps a slight smell when cold - possible coolant smell i am not sure)

thanks in advanced

willg 95 vr6

Difficult to pinpoint on a VR - look for white stains on pipes etc, the plastic temp sensor housing is a known weakpoint...

If you really can't find anything and suspect the matrix then you could have it out the system with a bit of plumbing but not in this weather!

thanks, yeah your right not really the weather for repairing cars, then again no weather is good weather of you have to repair a car i suppose

Sounds like the Matrix to me.... mine used to lose exactly the same amount of coolant over the same period and the only clue to it being the matrix was the windscreen steaming up slightly after the car had been left 5 mins or so after a journey....but only in certain weather conditions.

Took the matrix out and sure enough, it had a very small split in it. Caught it just in time before it ruptured in a big way!

ooooo sounds nasty if that goes, did you change it yourself, how long did it take and do you get at the matrix from inside the cabin or from the enngine bay, and how much did it cost?

sorry that is a lot of questions

The part costs virtually nothing, but the labour to strip and remove the dash is quite pricey .. :(

ooooo sounds nasty if that goes, did you change it yourself, how long did it take and do you get at the matrix from inside the cabin or from the enngine bay, and how much did it cost?

sorry that is a lot of questions

The matrix is completely enclosed in a plastic housing but if it ruptures big style, hot steam pours out of the vents (blocking your view) and if you're unlucky, hot coolant can come out of the foot vents.

I stripped the entire dashboard myself, removed the centre console etc etc ready for Stealth to do the matrix when I arrived. The car was going there anyway, so I got it ready and it was then just a case of undoing the bulkhead bolts (for the dash and the heater box), tipping the dash back onto the front seats, pulling out the matrix, dropping new one in. I then put the dash back together when I got home.

It's really not that bad a job tbh and it's a good oppurtunity to sort out messy wiring behind the dash, which alarm fitters usually cause.

The matrix from VW is £100 and about £50 from GSF I think....

ok cool thanks for your help, sounds pretty bad if they go big style, but if i can do it my self then hey it not much money at all

guess what - it was my heater matrix, it has just gone, water in the footwell and the steam from the vents made the inside of my car look like a cheesey 70's disco.

bidding for a matrix off ebay and preparing the car for installation as we speak

Will

best buy a new one fella, they aint to dear to buy...about the £20 mark iirc :thumbleft:

EDIT just checked euro car parts....£29.and a few pence.......

this guy reckons it is brand new, fingers crossed

by the way i am struggling getting the third nut off that hold the heater matrix on (the lower one) it is just spinning has anyone got any ideas

Will

brute force to lever the plastic housing away from the welded bolt and everything is out, only to me 6 hours after 2 trips to halfords to try and find the correct size spanner

it is definately the heater matrix

6 hours to get it out, blimey mate :shock: just wait until you put it all back together, thats the tough/awkward part, :wink:

think i might be about to do my fourth matrix :evil:

been losing water ever so slightly,all pipes have been checked, water pump seems ok so looks like matrix or poss a slight leak in the radiator.

bloody hate doing heater matrix cutting your hands to bits with that bloody box plus the clips wouldnt go back on the slider cables last time.grrrrrrrrr

just though i would say i got the new matrix (£22) from ebay and took 3 hours to put back in. considering it took 6 hours to get out i thought that was pretty good going.

Thought i would say i had trouble with selecting face and feet on the heater control mechanism before i had the matrix issues and found that a bit of wd40 while the heater box was out on all the cables and it seems to have free it up nicely. a tip for anyone with a similar issue.

PS i think that was the most awkward job i have ever carried out on a car i hope never to do that again. I put an engine in my beetle in less than 3 hours (A WHOLE ENGINE)

fourth time!!!!!! i think its time to bypass the matrix and just have a hat a gloves on in the winter time