Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Standard v Modified

I'm at point now where the C will be sprayed soon and the bodywork looking all minty. Now my original plan was to get the best standard example of a C I could (I like standard!).

Keep the same wheels just refurb them, get everything fixed/working, you get the idea.

But now after spending the last few months on here and seeing various pics from Ultimate Dubs especially, I find myself looking at different wheels and bloody grills!

Then different interiors! (Cheers Jay! :wink: )

I'm stuck what to do. Should I concentrate on my original plan or do some mods, as this would be the best time to start them (before a repsray). I know it's all personal preference but when I see people winning awards I think "I want that!". Plus with Furks C winning even though its nr standard in appearence it makes me think all awards aren't about whos done the best/craziest/most expensive mod.

Please bear in mind mines a daily driver so slamming it to the floor wouldn't be an option! :)

Cheers!

mine is reasonably standard and i like it that way personally, i know what you mean about all the " goodies " that look smart / cool that seems like a must have, if you give it a while this phase passes ( only to return again ), i reckon a well sorted corrado with subtle changes still looks good and will turn heads, there are some guys on here that have really pulled the rabbit out of the hat and created excellent cars (a20lee) but if like me you have a limited budget and the usual family outgoings then this is not really viable unless you want to lose your car to the garage for the next god knows years, at the end of the day the choice is yours....i`d rather be driving as often as possible, my own corrado is ass end up in the garage for repairs / restoration and thats been like that for the last 3 months...just cant find the time to finish off the old girl let alone customise to the high degree and standards some people do

for me, modifying my corrados was about bringing them up to date. They looked great in their day as standard but now the high suspension, orange indicators and small wheels (to name but a few things) date them. A subtle drop over standard looking wheels and clear indicators do them the world of good looks wise and it is deffinatly possible to keep them looking factory without going overboard and making them obviously modified. Even a 40mm drop on refurbed wheels would improve matters.

Dropped 40mm is about the limits for me, I like standard wheels,lights etc so other than the rideheight i'm more interested in getting the engine running as well as I can.

Agreed fully with Chrishill. Modifiying can mean different things depending on how you look at it, for myself and Chris it means updating to "today's standards", whereas it might mean "engine mods, go faster" to others and to some it may mean "show car only".

My opinion is that even as standard the car is beautiful and needs very little done to it to make it look good/better or even perform a lot better, as Chris already pointed out, lowering and clear indicators along with a few minor other things, makes a lot of difference.

Simple (simplistic?) answer: Keep any mods to something that can be fairly easily reversed.

My personal opinion is that VW got things just about right with the Corrado and with a few exceptions I've yet to see any major mods that work well without losing the essence of the car.

Dropped 40mm is about the limits for me, I like standard wheels,lights etc so other than the rideheight i'm more interested in getting the engine running as well as I can.

I find it quite refreshing to see a good condition standard car, whatever the engine, the C should always have been a bit lower than the factory made them, particularly the VR6's, so I consider 40mm lower to be 'standard'.

There's few enough C's left on the road, and even fewer that are in good nick or haven't been 'MAXed' :(

Would a 40mm drop effect everyday use?

I go into a lot of schools, which means speed bumps of varying sizes. Would this be an issue? Plus, to save me a search and to keep on topic, what would a decent set up to achieve a 40mm drop be? Coilovers and shocks is it? Koni & H&R? Plus labour, what are we talking?

To be fair, you can just use springs for that, depends on your budget. The ride is going to be comprimised on standard 15 year old shocks, but going for uprates shocks as well is a huge layout.

RE: modifying, my opinion is that a standard Corrado is nice, but can be improved upon. Lowering, different wheels, and definitely different rear lights all make a huge difference. Mine is fully poly bushed so isn't the most comfortable ride, but I'm happy with comprimising comfort for handling, and quietness for speed(my car is fairly loud too).

Personally I wouldn't go as far as some people on here and change the dash, thats just my personal opinion and I think the original Corrado dash has stood the test of time quite well.

Also I don't think there are that many "MAXed" Corrados out there, there are only a couple of Corrados I have seen which have offended me!

Aren't there a lot of people who say non VAG rear lights never fit properly? If there are some that do, which make? Even I know to stay away from some ebay stuff!

Yeah i've heard that, you can see the middle light sits up a little bit and you can't adjust them. I read somewhere that one person had modified his - I think he made the adjustment hole on the bootlid larger so he could move the inner lights down a little more.

I don't know which brand it is though, mine are standard lights but the top half is tinted.

The most obvious change would be the grill (for cost and reversability). Still undecided on this.

Would like diff wheels and lowered but your talking around £1k just for those 2!

I've recently had problems with my Koni dampers (one of the seals has gone causing fluid to leak out) and as a result going through the decision whether to go back to standard dampers/standard ride height. Since its been lowered, i've notice a couple of annoying rattles and the stealth parcel shelf clunks. It used to be silent and smooth on standard. Its just the crazy ride height which puts me off. Can you really use lowering springs with standard dampers?

I love the standard BBS wheels (speedlines and solitudes) and wouldn't ever change them. The car was designed for 15's so they're staying IMO. I went up to 16's and 17's on my MK2 golf and regretted it, so went straight back to 15's which felt lovely!

As for the orange lights, they do date the car considerably - the clearer ones certainly bring it up to date.

As long as you keep all original parts, no worries.

Depends where you buy the bits and bobs from

IMO

side repeaters (£10)

rear light tint (£5)

remove door strips (free)

headlights-colour reflective lenses black (£3)

BACK TO BLACK all black plastics (£3)

TOTAL £21

Ta da

Regarding the stance of the car,

Lower 40mm all round (e.g.Gmax - £150 plus labour £150?), although i remember someone was selling AVO coilovers for £170 on the forum.

New wheels(EBAY.Depending on preferred setup,15"x8"or17"x7.5 etc) (£350)

e.g. i have a set of 17x7.5 for £100 w/o tyres, non split rims go for dirt cheap nowadays.

I'm keeping my door strips! Bloody teachers just fly their doors open! Thought about getting them painted but if they get knocked and crack the paint it'll just peel off.

What are the headlights your on about? Piccys of result? How, what?

STd headlights, just take the lens off and pen the silver reflective bits with a black marker

Do a search (headlight mod)

As for the door strips, once/if you lower the car, the door strips are useless and most doors will open onto just below ur window.....

The most obvious change would be the grill (for cost and reversability). Still undecided on this.

Try replacing your silver VW grill badge for a black one, give the grill some serious 'back to black' treatment and you'll see it makes alot of difference! Can't understand the debaged look unless you drive a cr*py french car and wish to hide the manufacturer! :)

p.s. i like the site, am i right in assuming that the work done section is empty, cos u havent done any yet??? lol

Hey! My previous car was a 306 GTI-6!

In standard form it would easily beat a none VR6 Corrado!

But I know what you mean about french cars! If it stops rattling it means its just fallen off!

Would one of those black ebay jobbies do the trick or are VAG a better bet (for fitting properly?)

Hey! My previous car was a 306 GTI-6!

In standard form it would easily beat a none VR6 Corrado!

How do you mean "beat it"? Looks? In a straight line? Better handling? Did it feel as good to drive as the Corrado does?

Well I like my std rear lights.

My aim is to update it a little, I have colour coded door handles and no rubbing strips. The other focus is to make it a good fast road car. Which mine is.

i had always planned to keep my C standard, maybe just with a little drop to make it sit a bit nicer.... until i started looking at pics and reading stuff on here!!! in the end i sold the standard one and bought one which has most of the mods i want to do, all of which i feel enhance the look, feel and performance of the car. to me its only improved it and i wouldnt change them back.... although i would like to go back to a badged grille at some point....

its all personal preferance, if your happy with it the way it is dont change it....

:)

Build your car how you want it. If you think the lights look dated, change them. If you don't like the wheels change them. Whatever you do though just make sure you do whatever you do as well as you can manage/afford.

It will mean you end up with a lot less hassle later on.

I think VW did a superb job with the Corrado back in the 80's. Its now 2006, nuff said.

Jay